PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic or Organic Oil?

bsell
05-24-2008, 08:13 AM
What do you use? Which brand and viscosity? Why? Any other thoughts or tips welcome.

I found a number of posts in a recent thread related to oil and the preferred viscosity by some people, but not much detail as to why synthetic or organic is used.

Recently switched from Mobil 1 0w-40 to Pennzoil 20w-50 in an attempt to quiet my VANOS noise when the engine is hot.

I tend to change the oil three times a year and am probably pouring good oil out of the engine each time. We don't drive the E34 that much nor for long distances anymore so I figure I should change the oil due to acid buildup from too many cold starts/runs. I guess I am just an old fogie when it comes to changing oil longer than 3K miles per round as in, I can't keep driving on 'old' oil. Yet BMW says 2 years/25,000 miles on the oil in my '08 328...but they will change it at the one year mark to make me happy.

The 20w-50 did make the engine quieter but has tapped the gas mileage a little...I picked Pennzoil because I have always had good success with keeping the engine clean using this brand. As in, new car clean, with the 3K change cycle.

Brian

th3_blur
05-24-2008, 08:49 AM
What do you use? Which brand and viscosity? Why? Any other thoughts or tips welcome.

I found a number of posts in a recent thread related to oil and the preferred viscosity by some people, but not much detail as to why synthetic or organic is used.

Jeff325525
05-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I run the German Castrol 0w-30 synthetic. The engine really seems to like it. Very quiet at startup. I have used a lot of different oils and this really seems to be one of best. Nearly 40wt in viscosity, about 15% thicker than a 5w-30 Mobil 1. I have also run Mobil 1 in various grades and Castrol 5w-50 and some Royal Purple 10w-40. GC is my favorite.

Jeff
95 525i
91 525i

th3_blur
05-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Any reason specific reasons for choosing synthetic? I've heard it has a better life, but I've also been told that some cars don't like it and switching back from synthetic is not good.

632 Regal
05-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Any reason specific reasons for choosing synthetic? It doesnt break down like regular oils, just gets dirty

I've heard it has a better life, but I've also been told that some cars don't like it and switching back from synthetic is not good. Old wives tale. when it first was being developed it wasn't a tale ;)

th3_blur
05-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Awesome. Next oil change, in goes the synthetic! Also, anyone have experience with Lubro Moly? I just got the Bavarian Autosport catalog today and they seem to consider it to be their best synthetic oil... or maybe its just because it's the most expensive.

///Sniper535
05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
If you dont mind th3_blur, i have a question for all the M30 535i guys.

What oil brand/grade do you recommend?

Paul in NZ
05-25-2008, 12:41 AM
i use castrol synthetic 5w30 in my m30.people say dont.But synthetic is superior to mieral in every way,and i want the best start up protecton so a low vis is a must,but the synthetic gives me the higher viscosity too.

BigKriss
05-25-2008, 01:34 AM
manual states 20w-50 for viscosity - i used to use synethic, these days i use mineral and change every 5000kms.

http://www.autobarn.com.au/products/10/68/2161959/

Paul in NZ
05-25-2008, 03:19 AM
its not to warm here kriss,esp at the mo.:)...the "special oils" bar at the side of the chart covers all temp ranges

Zeuk in Oz
05-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Why go backwards. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in all of my cars - non vanos, vanos and double vanos. Brilliant as far as I am concerned and I change it every 7-8,000 kms.

Money well spent for peace of mind.

bsell
05-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Why go backwards. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in all of my cars - non vanos, vanos and double vanos. Brilliant as far as I am concerned and I change it every 7-8,000 kms.

Money well spent for peace of mind.

I'm not sure who you are responding to but it seems you do the same thing as me, change out probably good oil for new oil.

Even back in the early '90's, BMW recommended much longer oil change intervals than either you or I (and most other folks!) have the patience for. Intervals to the tune of 15K miles between changes. Sure, that was with the specified 'special' oil but still that is what they said. Hence my comment of me pouring 'good' oil out of the engine at changes while using the specified oil and changing at 3-5K miles.

So I figured why not kill two birds with one stone, silence my VANOS and save some money since I am not 'using' the Mobil 1 for its designed purpose, extended service time. Sure the cold start and thermal capabilities of Mobil 1 are greater, but for me, the thinness when warm wasn't cutting it so I switched oils.

Brian

BigKriss
05-25-2008, 06:08 AM
30 is too thin when warm though, bmw says 50.

i use castrol synthetic 5w30 in my m30.people say dont.But synthetic is superior to mieral in every way,and i want the best start up protecton so a low vis is a must,but the synthetic gives me the higher viscosity too.

BigKriss
05-25-2008, 06:33 AM
fair enough then :)

its not to warm here kriss,esp at the mo.:)...the "special oils" bar at the side of the chart covers all temp ranges

Dr. evil
05-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Why synthetics?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Why_Synthetics.aspx

interesting article
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

correct vis for your car?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Vehicle_Chooser/VehicleChooser.aspx?option=2

yes once you go synthetic you can go back

"Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way "

Paul in NZ
05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=bsell]I'm not sure who you are responding to but it seems you do the same thing as me, change out probably good oil for new oil. [QUOTE]

If you are not sure to whom someone is replying, you can change your setting in "display modes" or else log on - either will give you the "family tree". I was replying to the original poster and talking generally about my belief in Mobil 1 0W-40.

I'm not quite sure that I follow your logic. I have no belief in long service intervals, so in the 2 cars that I have that are still being serviced by dealers - my MB ML 270 CDI and a MB 2006 Vito 115 CDI, I change oil in between their recommended services intervals.

My main concern is sludge - do a search if you haven't seen Winfred's horror photos.

I figure that at the end of the day, if you are going to the trouble of doing an oil change, why try to save a few dollars by using 150 year old technology. I am not saying that using mineral oils isn't OK if they are changed often enough, however for optimal top end lubrication from start up and for things like turbos - as both of my Mercs are turbo diesels - why not get with progress and use the newer oils ?
I use your argument to support my argument.If in 1990 BMW beleive that you can run a mineral oil for the full service interval(about 15000 k for me) then using a modern synthetic is even more conservative.So thats what i do :)
Bear in mind i use my car every day and it gets a good run ,not short runs or stop go traffic.If that was the scenario I might do a mid interval change

Zeuk in Oz
05-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure who you are responding to but it seems you do the same thing as me, change out probably good oil for new oil. [QUOTE]

If you are not sure to whom someone is replying, you can change your setting in "display modes" or else log on - either will give you the "family tree". I was replying to the original poster and talking generally about my belief in Mobil 1 0W-40.

[QUOTE=bsell] Even back in the early '90's, BMW recommended much longer oil change intervals than either you or I (and most other folks!) have the patience for. Intervals to the tune of 15K miles between changes. Sure, that was with the specified 'special' oil but still that is what they said. Hence my comment of me pouring 'good' oil out of the engine at changes while using the specified oil and changing at 3-5K miles.

So I figured why not kill two birds with one stone, silence my VANOS and save some money since I am not 'using' the Mobil 1 for its designed purpose, extended service time. Sure the cold start and thermal capabilities of Mobil 1 are greater, but for me, the thinness when warm wasn't cutting it so I switched oils.

Brian

I'm not quite sure that I follow your logic. I have no belief in long service intervals, so in the 2 cars that I have that are still being serviced by dealers - my MB ML 270 CDI and a MB 2006 Vito 115 CDI, I change oil in between their recommended services intervals.

My main concern is sludge - do a search if you haven't seen Winfred's horror photos.

I figure that at the end of the day, if you are going to the trouble of doing an oil change, why try to save a few dollars by using 150 year old technology. I am not saying that using mineral oils isn't OK if they are changed often enough, however for optimal top end lubrication from start up and for things like turbos - as both of my Mercs are turbo diesels - why not get with progress and use the newer oils ?

Ross
05-26-2008, 07:08 AM
20w50 mineral oil in my M30s. 10w40 in the dead of winter because 20w50 becomes pudding below zero.

Paul in NZ
05-26-2008, 02:41 PM
mobil recomend 0w 40 and castrol 10 w 60 for the m30(among others)

myles
05-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Castrol 10W40 mineral oil for all of my cars. Synthetic breaks down quickly when it is contaminated by fuel in my experience.

Dave M
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Why synthetics?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Why_Synthetics.aspx

interesting article
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

correct vis for your car?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Vehicle_Chooser/VehicleChooser.aspx?option=2

yes once you go synthetic you can go back

"Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way "

Interesting.

The Mobil 1 site link (US site) doesn't list a 5-50 grade. It does, however, list a 15-50.

On a Canada specific Mobil 1 site (http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/LCW/Products_Services/Mobil_1.asp) it lists a 5-50 weight. Here is theMobil 1 (Imperial Oil?) 5-50 data sheet (http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_5W-50.pdf) from the site.

Just wondering why we would get the 5-50. Also, the site is affiliated with imperial oil, which the US site is not.

Either way, the 5-50 I use has been fine for the high mileage M50 I have.

Curious,

Dave

nirvana19
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I run Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in my M30B35. Same oil the car has been running for a long time according to service records so I decided to stick to it. BMW calls for 20w50 but personally that seems way too heavy. BMW decided that in the late 1980s... modern synthetics provide far better lubrication at lower weights so it seems that anything heavier than 10w40 synthetic would be overkill.

John B.
05-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I've tried a few different grade dino & synthetics in my 535i including Mobil 1 0w-40. I've settled on Castrol Syntec 5w-50 summer & Syntec 5w-40 winter. Oil & filter gets changed every 5k or by the season.

BMWDriver
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I use Motul 5w40. I don't have to add coolant as much anymore, and have to add much less oil since going back to synthetic. I don't think oil is organic, it's a derived product from petroleum.

Synthetic oil is structurally more stable under intense heat than its counterpart. The atoms and molecules are better aligned.

bmwrp8
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
i use castrol magnatec 10w-40. i tried mobil 15w-50 once i didn't like it.:)

attack eagle
05-30-2008, 01:07 AM
castrol gtx 20w50, changd every 3-5k depending on driving. more frequent when it has been windy or hot (deserts are hell on engines, interiors and painjobs), longer in winter when it does mostly highway duty with reduced idle times adnthere is much less particulate in the air.

why mineral oil instead of synth? I don't need synth at those intervals, and I'd rather change the filter and oil together rather than change just the filter... my car is old and I'm sure it has some blowby and seepage past the valve seals. if i am going to have to add a quart every 3 months, i might as well change the oil. it only takes 3 minutes longer to change it all

e34.535i.sport
05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
i use castrol magnatec 10w-40.

I'm with you. No problems = me happy. :) Better the devil you know...

sneekens
05-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Castrol Magnatec 10w-40, change oil and filter every 3500 kms. Our ambient temp, 27-35C. Worked perfectly EXCEPT when we did an all out run unprepared, it thinned out to the point I could see oil seeping out the head... but after cool down, everything is ok again....