PDA

View Full Version : E34 not starting urgent help please?

Scott C
05-24-2008, 05:20 AM
525 E34 M20 engine

Just changed the Headgasket (as per Bentley Manual). Now re-built, but won't start. The start relay seem to click once, but doesn't turn over....i think its a sensor telling the thing not to start. but i'm buggered if i can find it.

Any ideas??

Mike

Dumb question - have you checked all sensors are connected, and even dumber, has the battery lost charge?
Scott

Tiger
05-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Take plugs all out. turn the engine over by hand... any binding?

wiggy1406
05-24-2008, 06:50 AM
525 E34 M20 engine

Just changed the Headgasket (as per Bentley Manual). Now re-built, but won't start. The start relay seem to click once, but doesn't turn over....i think its a sensor telling the thing not to start. but i'm buggered if i can find it.

Any ideas??

Mike

wiggy1406
05-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Dumb question - have you checked all sensors are connected, and even dumber, has the battery lost charge?
Scott

Battery is fine, i think it may be a sensor, but cannot narrow it down, it doesn't crank. Do you know which sensors would shut it down so it won't even crank?

wiggy1406
05-24-2008, 08:50 AM

It will hand crank, i get a loud click from a relay and nothing else, i'm sure it's something stupid i've done....probably a sensor problem stopping it starting.....don't really want to strip it down again.

wiggy1406
05-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Ignore my last post, it doesn't hand crank.....any ideas??

whiskychaser
05-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Ignore my last post, it doesn't hand crank.....any ideas??
Do you mean you cant turn the engine by hand with a socket on the crankshaft nut? If so dont try again until you have double checked your valve timing is correct

wiggy1406
05-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Do you mean you cant turn the engine by hand with a socket on the crankshaft nut? If so dont try again until you have double checked your valve timing is correct

Any way of doing that without removing the cooling hoses??....really don't want to drain the system again!

m

whiskychaser
05-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Any way of doing that without removing the cooling hoses??....really don't want to drain the system again!

m
Drop the sumpguard and go at it from underneath. If you havent done it before be aware of the silly washers that sit between the guard and the chassis. I put a blob of silicone on them just to keep them in place. Oh, and the guard is heavy so put a trolley jack under it to take the weight:D But I'm still not clear if its just you turn the key and nothing happens or it turns over and wont fire

wiggy1406
05-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Drop the sumpguard and go at it from underneath. If you havent done it before be aware of the silly washers that sit between the guard and the chassis. I put a blob of silicone on them just to keep them in place. Oh, and the guard is heavy so put a trolley jack under it to take the weight:D But I'm still not clear if its just you turn the key and nothing happens or it turns over and wont fire

I turn the key and there is a click from the starter, but the crank doesn't turn. i took out the spark plugs and tried to hand crank. but its solid. i set everything to TDC on the cam, crank etc. when i changed the head gasket, now i think i'm going mad....will it be ok to loosen the new torx cylinderhead bolts...or will i need a new set if i do?? (they haven't been heated yet.

Mike

Tiger
05-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Your timing is way off... your piston is hitting your valve. Recheck your work.

Tiger
05-24-2008, 03:16 PM
You don't need to remove your head. Just the valve cover so you can line it up with the timing mark. Bentley manual tells you how to do it. 0 degree TDC on timing is lined up with 1st cylinder piston all the way up and both valves for #1 piston closed. Double check the timing with Bentley manual.

wiggy1406
05-25-2008, 03:14 AM
You don't need to remove your head. Just the valve cover so you can line it up with the timing mark. Bentley manual tells you how to do it. 0 degree TDC on timing is lined up with 1st cylinder piston all the way up and both valves for #1 piston closed. Double check the timing with Bentley manual.

It's the Crank that is out..and i cannot turn it by hand and don't want to damage the valves.....any more than i have already. do you think this will work?

1-Remove the rocker arm retaining clips
2-"encourage" the rocker arms off the valves with a rubber mallet and piece of hardwood
3-rotate crank to TDC position
4-Re-install cambelt
5-rotate crank, reposition rockers and clips on by one as per setting valve gaps

What do you think??

wiggy1406
05-25-2008, 03:44 AM
OK, did the rocker arm thing...no problems doing it, but crank still wont move...any ideas?