PDA

View Full Version : Hood on BMW e34 wont open.?

Inphinity
05-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi..

The hood on my E34 wont open.. I think the cable head has fallen op the hood lock, but how can I get it open again?

Is there any kind of external opening?

Regards.

Paul in NZ
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
i am going to state something very obvious here,please dont be offended.You are aware the Hood hinges from the front?You release catch inside slide the whole hood forward then it is free to lift from the BACK

genphreak
05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi..

The hood on my E34 wont open.. I think the cable head has fallen op the hood lock, but how can I get it open again?

Is there any kind of external opening?

Regards.The lock actuated by the cable is behind the left side grille which you can may be able to remove externally by breaking it and or the plastic fasteners and screws. have you had someone jiggle the bonnet up and down/back and forth while pulling on the cable?

Its always best to get to these things before they break... good luck!

Inphinity
05-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah I know that, but since the hood doesn't even pop up in the front I cant open it..

Inphinity
05-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Yeah a friend and I tried but no such luck.. :(

blue540
05-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I have dealt with with problem in the past. Not an easy one I'm sorry to say.

If your catch has broken apart under the hood, the only way I found to release it was to take a hack saw blade, then using a torch, see if you can spot the metal post attached to the hood that locks into the catch and saw slowly through it.

Access is between the edge of the hood and the grill.

I read about some people that had removed the grill and managed to use a screwdriver to release the catch, I tried this too but to no avail. Figured I might have a different set up than those who were succesfull.