PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad Permatex (sticky) vs brake grease to prevent squealing with rear PBR ULTs??

rizal
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I have just put PBR ULT's on the rear of my 525iT and despite Permatex on the mating surfaces of the caliper and outer pad, and the piston and inner pad, I still get a nice loud squeal on light braking, though better since I cleaned things up really well and reapplied it, but still annoying. Should I expect better results with brake lube instead? What is the consensus? Thanks very much.

attack eagle
05-22-2008, 12:05 AM
lube the sliders? got all the shims in?
I've always used copper paste on the rear of the pads.

Tiger
05-22-2008, 06:23 AM
You need to rough up the surface of the rotors and break it in again.

rizal
05-22-2008, 07:36 AM
lube the sliders? got all the shims in?
I've always used copper paste on the rear of the pads.
Thanks. The shims are built into the backing plates (thin soft layer) and yes I did lube the sliders, although now I read some recommend against it as the lube may cause the rubber to swell and bind.

Ross
05-22-2008, 08:28 AM
If you have the shims on the pads the goop isn't needed. Lubing the slides is good, use the correct grease, silicone I think.

rizal
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
If you have the shims on the pads the goop isn't needed. Lubing the slides is good, use the correct grease, silicone I think.
Thanks very much. I tried it with just the factory shims and nothing on them, but they really squealed then. Much better with Permatex, but still worse than other pads (ATE, Mintex) that I had used. Thanks again.

Ross
05-23-2008, 07:38 AM
I would follow Tiger's advice by scuffing the rotors and pads and rebedding them.