PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done this?

BMWDriver
05-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Interesting. I take it they don't look much different though.

///Sniper535
05-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I came up with this idea as I was messing around with the front seats...

If you're anything like me, i like to be hugged my my seats. I always preferred BMW's sport seats but I don't have an M5 nor a 540i sport.

I wonder if anyone has done this.

Remove the upper seat cushion from the seat. Removing the seat back, removing the armrest, carefully removing all the anchors that hold the leather down. Unplugging all the connectors. Sliding off the upper seat cushion with leather cover. I bent the side support bars inward just about a half inch or so. I put the cushion back on and wow, it felt like the sport seats.

I don't have pics, i lost my camera. but what do you guys think?

SnakeyesTx
05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I had the front seats on my E34 redone where the kidney bollards were a little thicker, made all the difference in the world. I'm considering doing something similar on my E39 as well while the leather is still good so I can save a little on material costs.

e34.535i.sport
05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I came up with this idea as I was messing around with the front seats...

If you're anything like me, i like to be hugged my my seats. I always preferred BMW's sport seats but I don't have an M5 nor a 540i sport.

I wonder if anyone has done this.

Remove the upper seat cushion from the seat. Removing the seat back, removing the armrest, carefully removing all the anchors that hold the leather down. Unplugging all the connectors. Sliding off the upper seat cushion with leather cover. I bent the side support bars inward just about a half inch or so. I put the cushion back on and wow, it felt like the sport seats.

I don't have pics, i lost my camera. but what do you guys think?

I picked up some Leather sports seats for a really good price and I haven't looked back. I love the support when you negotiate a long sweeping corner at speed! You should look into buying a set. I'm impressed by your inginuity though, quality stuff.

screwbiedoo15
05-30-2008, 01:33 PM
sounds like an interesting idea. i may have to try this with a spare seat i have sitting around

henryw525i
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I did something slightly un orthodox for my crappy cloth seats. I bolstered the sides up by crushing up some news paper and stuffing it in the sides...works a treat seats aren't nearly as sagged now.

///Sniper535
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I haven't had enough luck to run into a set for sale or at the salvage yard.

nirvana19
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I've been looking for a set of seats in the DC area for a while to replace my torn tan ones (drivers side mainly) and I've never really had luck.

BTW, where in Maryland do you live? Looking at your picture I just realized that I think I might have driven by your car parked in the spot in your sig picture but at night.. I vaguely remember seeing a 535i with the clear rears and possibly some other slight mods but only just now made the connection and saw that you do in fact live in MD

///Sniper535
05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I live off the parkway (295) in the Riverdale Area. I'm always going to Crazy Rays in Jessup and Baltimore(hawkings Point) usually a lot of good stuff. There is a few good condition tan seats there

My sig pic was taken in Florida, BTW

nirvana19
05-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Hm it was night do you park your car on the street in a suburban neighborhood that looks even remotely like that? I live in Bethesda and don't remember where I was going when I saw that car, but it couldn't have been TOO far away. In any case, I've been meaning to get out to one of those yards but I still haven't gotten to either yet. I could use a hood..

///Sniper535
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
No, thats not my car. i have seen another black e34 that looks just like mine except with bigger wheels.