PDA

View Full Version : Brake system Maintenance - DONE!

JoeS
05-25-2004, 06:36 PM
This weekend I finally got around to the brake maintenance project. Rebuilding the calipers, installing new Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors, steel braided lines, brake fluid flush, and of course new pads. Amazing! I cannot believe the pedal I have now.

Bruno’s post a while back on caliper rebuilding is right on. Once you get the first one figured it out, the rest are a snap. I had purchased a set of used calipers, carriers, and new pads so it could paint them, rebuild them, and assemble them at my leisure before the installation day. This is definitely the way to go. It was just a straight remove and replace event. Each wheel took me about 15 minutes.

Anyone considering doing this job, let me know. You are welcome to my calipers and carriers for a modest sum. Actually I have two sets of front calipers, and one set of rears (and extra rear carriers). I also have an extra set of caliper rebuild kits. Hell it is so easy - I might even paint and rebuild my old ones and sell them on the bay.

Since I had my wheels off, I give them a good scrubbin’. I used the laundry room product ‘Spray n Wash’. Man this stuff works great, it removed all the road stain and tar. My wheels look like the day I bought them.

Jeff N.
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
schweet Joe! You gotta start posting some pics of yer machine!