PDA

View Full Version : Need a replacement radio for a 1989 535i e34

Kibokojoe
05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Need a replacement radio for a 1989 535i e34. I don't want an original radio. I need a cd player or maybe an mp3 port, HD radio would be awesome. It would be great to have an orange display also. Has anyone replaced their radio with a newer radio. Does any of the other BMW radios fit in this opening? There has to be a replacement radio out there somewhere

nirvana19
05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Search on the forums for CD43.. you'll get a ton of results. Its a BMW radio installed in later model cars that supposedly has brilliant sound and blends in well with your car's interior. Personally, its too pricey for me, I'd be curious to see what other current models people are installing that have the amber backlighting.

BMWDriver
05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Somebody in the classifieds has a Nakamichi with mp3 ability for a good price.

As for me, I got myself a Clarion which can change the backlit color of the buttons, save the display pannel which remains blue. However, their more recent models change color there too. So, I do have matching colors for the buttons at least.

There is a big difference in sound quality and power output since I upgraded. The power output is awesome with the stock speakers and amp. I had to glue back the rubber rims around the back ones because I had vibrations. I get great classical and jazz music out of it all. But for modern pop or hip-hop and all that, a good woofer is probably needed.

healtoeit
05-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Need a replacement radio for a 1989 535i e34. I don't want an original radio. I need a cd player or maybe an mp3 port, HD radio would be awesome. It would be great to have an orange display also. Has anyone replaced their radio with a newer radio. Does any of the other BMW radios fit in this opening? There has to be a replacement radio out there somewhere
I use this an Alpine IDA-X001... it is a great receiver, but it is made to work with your Ipod (You Ipod menus and play lists are assessable in the same way they are on the actual Ipod), no cd player, has radio and can have XM/sirious. not an orange display though...but the deep blue doesn't bother me. I like it a lot, I took out my amp and use the one built into the receiver. Sounds 10x better the before. When replacing the receiver I would suggest replacing the speakers at the same time.
This is a great website for searching new products
www.crutchfield.com

dauchande
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
I'll eventually put in a Nakamichi deck, but A/D/S decks look good as well in these models. Both are black and classically styled. The bling bling modern decks look like crap in e34/39's IMHO.

Sixdown
05-22-2008, 01:20 AM
I made my Blaupunkt Monterrey work perfectly in my '89, and it had the option of changing the display color to match BMW orange backlighting. It took a little research to know what wire went where because pre-90 E34 cars had weird wiring and no aftermarket harness available. It simply took some soldering and a simple diagram from bmwe34.net.

You could upgrade the amp in the trunk, but I didn't and the sound still sounds crisp, and MUCH better than the stock headunit on all stock speakers.

joemiami1971
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Saw one on ebay --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-Radio-318-325-525i-540i-M3-Stock-Cassette-E34_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38639QQihZ008QQitem Z180245496988QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

mamilapon
05-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Somebody in the classifieds has a Nakamichi with mp3 ability for a good price.

As for me, I got myself a Clarion which can change the backlit color of the buttons, save the display pannel which remains blue. However, their more recent models change color there too. So, I do have matching colors for the buttons at least.

There is a big difference in sound quality and power output since I upgraded. The power output is awesome with the stock speakers and amp. I had to glue back the rubber rims around the back ones because I had vibrations. I get great classical and jazz music out of it all. But for modern pop or hip-hop and all that, a good woofer is probably needed.
I put some two way JBL's at the corners, a Sony head unit, and a Pioneer 10" sealed sub being run by an MTX amp:D