PDA

View Full Version : Blown Rad Hose & Thermostat

bmmrguy
05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I just replaced my thermostat about 1 month ago. Today my radiator hose upper one that connects to engine. The dash computer said Coolant Temp first and the head gage was pegged.

I got the car towed back home. I've replaced the hose. The dealership wanted $375 to do the job; I did the job my self for $60 + another $60 for towing (not bad). They (dealership) advised me that the thermostat needs to be replaced.
My question is this... Should I replace the thermostat again, after it over heated so badly? Or do you think this is a computer related problem?

Thanks guys!

JD525IA
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I just replaced my thermostat about 1 month ago. Today my radiator hose upper one that connects to engine. The dash computer said Coolant Temp first and the head gage was pegged.

I got the car towed back home. I've replaced the hose. The dealership wanted $375 to do the job; I did the job my self for $60 + another $60 for towing (not bad). They (dealership) advised me that the thermostat needs to be replaced.
My question is this... Should I replace the thermostat again, after it over heated so badly? Or do you think this is a computer related problem?

Thanks guys!

that the t-stat should be replaced. I have had a bad one that got ugly soon after install.

What does the computer have to do with anything. I just tells you when the engine temp gets high or the coolant low.

I would be concerned that the head manifold gasket was damaged after being highly overheated. Isn't that how you warp a head?

JD

John in CT
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Like he said, the computer only reports what happened, the cooling system relies on just a few things, a good water pumnp, a good thermostat, good hoses and clean passageways thru the block. i'd get a new thermostat, or at least throw your old one in a pot of boiling water to see it open. Then maybe blast a garden hose thru the block, you would be surprised what might come out.

Good luck,

John
1995 525i 5 speed

bsell
05-21-2008, 07:48 AM
I replaced the thermostat and put new fluids in, and took the car for a spin.
It about 10 min the temp gage went into the red zone with normal driving. What would this mean? I hope it isn't like a warped head... :(

How old is the water pump? Could it have trashed itself, causing crappy coolant flow?

I take it you get no prolonged steaming exhaust now? What about coolant dissapearing from the tank? If you are missing coolant and don't see puddles, its time to pull the spark plugs and see which one(s) is/are steam cleaned by the leaking coolant...from a warped/cracked head.:(

Brian

bmmrguy
05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
It about 10 min the temp gage went into the red zone with normal driving. What would this mean? I hope it isn't like a warped head... :(

whiskychaser
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Dont rob the piggy bank just yet. You may just have an air lock. You might have to run it at fast idle to get it all out but dont let that needle go past 12o'clock. Might take you half an hour to get it all out but its worth it:)

632 Regal
05-21-2008, 07:26 PM
all the oldies are gone, what a shame... Drill a small 1/8" hole in the outer portion of the thermostat to help purge air out so it will bleed properly. The BMW stats have a little deal in them with a chack ball for flow. Put the check or hole in 12 O'clock position. Also check the pisser hose they sometimes clog making bleeding impossible.

dauchande
05-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Are you sure that your water pump is working? They have plastic impellers that die in the 80-100k range. I would test it first to make sure it's working correctly. Does your upper radiator hose (the one coming from the water pump) get hot when the engine is warmed up?