PDA

View Full Version : Popping springs

RallyD
05-20-2008, 07:28 AM
i'm thinking that the tech used an impact gun to put the upper strut nut on and crushed the bearings.
The top of your strut stays with the car and the bottom of the strut turns with the wheel. The spring is torqued and pops when it cant hold on anymore. Probably ripping the rubber spring isolators up too.

another possibility is a dry ball joint but if it wasnt making the noise going in that probably is not the source of you noise.

dauchande
05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
I had a mechanic put BavAuto springs and Bilstein Sports in my car. Now it "pops" everytime I accelerate, brake or turn the steering wheel from stop to stop.

As I plan to replace the BavAuto springs at some point with Eibachs, I want to fix this issue.

Anyone know what's causing this? It's already been demonstrated that my motor mounts are bad and I'll guess that the transmission mounts are bad as well.

Dave M
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Strut mount bearings chewed?? Without more info, I'm only guessing. When you do swap to eibachs, replace the mount bearings and any other lower end steering components that haven't recently been replaced.

Dave