PDA

View Full Version : New parts on Order

632 Regal
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Dude go to autohaus and get a better price for name brand stuff ignore budget costs for no name brands all together.

All the old pros left this forum as it was overwhelmed by newbies and bad advice...lt sucks

Well I went ahead and ordered all four struts/shocks and 4 brake rotors. Now I just need to find the upper strut bushings they were telling me I needed. If anyone has a part number and source for these, let me know. I can't wait to put them in start driving this regularly.

vping
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered all four struts/shocks and 4 brake rotors. Now I just need to find the upper strut bushings they were telling me I needed. If anyone has a part number and source for these, let me know. I can't wait to put them in start driving this regularly.

ahlem
05-19-2008, 08:42 PM
www.bavauto.com or
zygmunt motors
both have them. You can search their online catalogs.

healtoeit
05-19-2008, 08:43 PM

I got mine from my BMW parts place,

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=31_0236&hg=31&fg=10

What you need are all the wear items in that pic, the parts guys at my bmw parts place (yes it is mine!) were great at helping me figure out what I needed and what I did not.

vping
05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Still not sure what I am ordering though. I don't recognise any of those to be wear items.

healtoeit
05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Still not sure what I am ordering though. I don't recognise any of those to be wear items.
It's too late tonight...but tomorrow ill post what I got... I have everything you need sitting in my garage...waiting to go into my car!

bubba966
05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Taking a guess at the build date on your car (used 6/89) so you might have to go to realoem and apply this info to your build date if things are different.

But in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=31_0128&hg=31&fg=10

You're going to want at least 1 (#4096), 3 , 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. #1 is the upper strut bushing you're looking for. #'s 9 & 10 should be replaced as if not they could lead to premature shock failure. 3/5/8/11/12 all wear out as well due to age/use.

I'd actually just order all of it through mileoneparts.com You're ordering almost all of it anyway, might as well spend the couple of extra bucks to make sure that you won't need any of those nuts/studs/covers as I'm sure those have seen better days after nearly 2 decades.

vping
05-20-2008, 06:38 AM
The sticker on the inside of the driver's door states 10/89. Is that the build date?

525i winter driver
05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
The sticker on the inside of the driver's door states 10/89. Is that the build date?
most probably... you can find out for sure (and look up parts) by entering your serial # (last 7 #s)here (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/).

All the old pros left this forum as it was overwhelmed by newbies and bad advice...lt sucks:(

bubba966
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM

Most likely is. Put your last 7 of the VIN into realoem when you're selecting a car (it's towards the top of the page) and it'll fill out all of the info for you which will tell you what the build date is.

vping
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I did and that is the build date 10/89. Top bushing/bearing seems pricey from them though.

bubba966
05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I did and that is the build date 10/89. Top bushing/bearing seems pricey from them though.

You talking what the price listed for them is when you look at realoem?

You don't buy things from realoem. That's a site for parts diagrams. And the prices listed are MSRP's from some point in time. As BMW parts prices have gone up again recently I don't expect the realoem guesstimate to be accurate.

Take the part number you found for your top mount and go to http://www.mileoneparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214336 and order it if you want the proper BMW part. Looks like they've got them for $148.80 each.

If you want the cheaper Meyle part, Pelicanparts.com has them for $115.75 Some people have had OK luck with Meyle stuff, but a lot of people say the Meyle stuff craps out after about a year or so.

Personally I'd spend the extra $33/side to get the good quality part that's going to last more than a year or two (probably 10 or more years). But it's up to you.

Mile One & Pelican are the two better places to look for parts. I'd look at those places first. Mile One mainly for BMW OE parts, and Pelican for the non BMW branded parts.

BigKriss
05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, why are you still here Jeff?

Dude go to autohaus and get a beeter price for name brand stuff ignore budget costs for no name brands all together.

All the old pros left this forum as it was overwhelmed by newbies and bad advice...lt sucks

vping
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Well I ordered a set of upper bushing bearings from ebay and I hope all geos well. I'll either be OK in the end or all of you will start saying I told you so. My budget is limited with all the other projects I have going but for $412.52, I have four shocks/struts, four rotors, the upper stuts bearings including all shipping on their way to me in the next day or two. We'll see how it goes.

632 Regal
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
To alleviate stress

Well, why are you still here Jeff?