PDA

View Full Version : ALMOST 26 mpg in a 540

Ross
05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
All the greenies can stuff it, my nearly two ton V8 car is not a hog.
OBC indicated 25.9 yesterday on a 130 mile trip driving very conservatively.
However the only joy was in annoying a cell phone blabbing SUV driving stooge who had no conception of lane usage(I'm in the right lane asswipe, pass me if 65 isn't fast enough).
The only concession other than driving style was to pump up the tires to 45 psi, this actually in anticipation of a few laps at Road America(only 13.2 there).
This car is new to me, it runs pretty well but I have no idea when it was last tuned, probably room for improvement.

genphreak
05-19-2008, 08:04 AM
All the greenies can stuff it, my nearly two ton V8 car is not a hog.
OBC indicated 25.9 yesterday on a 130 mile trip driving very conservatively.
However the only joy was in annoying a cell phone blabbing SUV driving stooge who had no conception of lane usage(I'm in the right lane asswipe, pass me if 65 isn't fast enough).
The only concession other than driving style was to pump up the tires to 45 psi, this actually in anticipation of a few laps at Road America(only 13.2 there).
This car is new to me, it runs pretty well but I have no idea when it was last tuned, probably room for improvement.540s are made for the Freeway... only fixes that are worth speaking of are normal wear items. There is no tuning on a 540 to speak of, only sensors that go wrong or filters etc that need replacing. Few tweaks either- most people just **** things up trying to redo what BMW have already done very well.

Ferret
05-19-2008, 08:08 AM
540s are made for the Freeway... only fixes that are worth speaking of are normal wear items. There is no tuning on a 540 to speak of, only sensors that go wrong or filters etc that need replacing. Few tweaks either- most people just **** things up trying to redo what BMW have already done very well.

O2 sensors, Manifold gaskets and exhaust condition are the only service parts that really affect a 540s performace.

The air filters on these things are pretty large, even when old I dont think they present too much air restriction.

Ross
05-19-2008, 08:13 AM
most people just **** things up trying to redo what BMW have already done very well.

So true