PDA

View Full Version : Switch for reverse lights... where?

525iZA
05-19-2008, 02:06 AM
It would seem that the switch for my reverse lights isn't working too well.

When I reverse my car out in the morning, reverse lights don't work at all, but they start functioning later in the day.

Also, sometimes it takes a couple of seconds after engaging reverse before the lights come on.

I remember taking out and cleaning the switch a couple of times on my Mercedes.

So where's the Bimmer's switch located, and is it easy to reach?

Oh and my car's a manual.

bigtallsam
05-19-2008, 02:34 AM
hi there, how ya doin

on my uk 525i m50 uk it's underneath/behind the glove box

quite easy to get to

regards

s

anonymous1
05-19-2008, 02:54 AM
Hi,

If it's not there it may be on the side of the gearbox... that's where mine was. It's easy to change, although mine was that old and decrepid it broke in two at the lightest of touches. :D Luckily still managed to get it out though, as it's not very tightly torqued - I presume because it's plastic.

HTH

525iZA
05-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Earlier today I noticed that when I really push on the gear lever in reverse the lights come on. So the switch will have to be close to the gearbox / gear lever.

Do you access it from inside the car or from underneath?

anonymous1
05-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi,

Depending on which gearbox you have fitted, it'll either be front left or rear rear of the box if I remember correctly from when I did mine. It is high up on the gearbox, but you can see it and get your hand in to it, you should notice the electrical connector coming off it as well. Unfasten the connector first and then you may find you can undo the switch without having to get a tool up there. (As I say mine was pretty loose)

I think the part was about £6, so pretty cheap for once and easy to change once located.

HTH

bigtallsam
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
DOH! sorry fellas didn't read the question right and thought he meant brake light switch

sorry!

s