PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man and working on cars

dauchande
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm a software engineer and I went and saw Iron Man recently.

One of the things that really stood out to me as an engineer was the interaction Tony had with the robots that worked with him in his shop.

I'd love to be able to tell a robot to; "Please show me an exploded view of the valve assembly" or "what's the compression on cylinder 3".

Anyone else that saw the movie think that this was cool?

repenttokyo
05-18-2008, 05:49 PM
yeah it was great. i liked that he kept his old clunky robots around even though it was clear that he could have built much better models.

dauchande
05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
yeah it was great. i liked that he kept his old clunky robots around even though it was clear that he could have built much better models.
Have you seen the new Microsoft Touch Walls? I tell my wife that in ten years, I'll be coming home from a hard day at work complaining how bad my feet hurt from standing up all day and programming with those things.

I think it's the future of things to come.

repenttokyo
05-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Have you seen the new Microsoft Touch Walls? I tell my wife that in ten years, I'll be coming home from a hard day at work complaining how bad my feet hurt from standing up all day and programming with those things.

I think it's the future of things to come.

are they the devices that resemble the interfaces from minority report?

MasssiveLee
05-18-2008, 08:29 PM
What was also cool were the holographic images of the parts that Tony Stark could move around by "touching" them and "wear" the holographic toys.

dauchande
05-19-2008, 09:38 AM
What was also cool were the holographic images of the parts that Tony Stark could move around by "touching" them and "wear" the holographic toys.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too.

I just thought the interaction with the robots was the coolest. That movie's got me pulling my soldering iron out of cold storage and researching robotics. I've got two young boys and we're gonna start doing some projects.

Ferret
05-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too.

I just thought the interaction with the robots was the coolest. That movie's got me pulling my soldering iron out of cold storage and researching robotics. I've got two young boys and we're gonna start doing some projects.

I did like the humour in the robots too :)

It was a n amazingly different film to the usual marvel rubbish, quite watchable - I heard that marvel have actually taken the directing internal now?

I also hear that iron man does a cameo in the new hulk film...