PDA

View Full Version : Another Cruise Contol Not Working

dog man
05-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi all I am new here despite loitering for a few weeks.....

I am the very proud owner of a 540i/6 which I have recently aquired and am trying desparaely to cure a non functioning cruise control before I set of to France in a weeks time.

I have two questons first though...1) Could it be related to the fact that one of the instrument bulbs is out??

2)Would there be any other symptoms besides cruise not working if the cluch switch was out?

So I have checked: Actuaor - put 12v into live and the motor works but the 'thrower' didnt engage - I just assumed it uses separate power to the main motor? No? if not then this is the cure I believe.....but it did engage its self when I applied 12v just to it alone....?

Module: removed and re fitted it

fuse: not blown

Speedo working, brake lights working, switch seems sealed so presuming thats an unlikely culprit..?

I'd hate to have to tear the cluster out and find/buy a new one to try in there, please help!!

Thanks in advance!

Vanguard
05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
1) Could it be related to the fact that one of the instrument bulbs is out??

No.

2)Would there be any other symptoms besides cruise not working if the cluch switch was out?

Don't know.

Check your brake light switch and the speed sensor in your rear differential.

pingu
05-19-2008, 12:27 PM
There were various posts on this a month or two ago (and I posted something around Jan 2007) - as a diligent newbie (welcome!) it's now your mission to find them! Good luck.

dog man
05-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys

I fixed it! It turned out to be the module/harness plug.

I noticed that the plug/pins looked like moisture had got in there at some point so I opened the module up and found a couple of solder joints which looked slightly corroded so I re soldered them, I then cleaned the plug with a couple of strands from my wire brush, then I carefully bent all of the pins to one side (slightly) to ensure a good contact.

I knew to check the module because I went and had a diagnostic done. The diagnostic machine wasn't even able to communicate with the cruise module so it looked likely that the fault would be with the module which it obviously did turn out to be.

Thanks again

dog man
06-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Just thought I'd update this....

I fixed this problem some two weeks ago in preparation for a trip to France but the joy was short lived - As soon as we headed out it stopped working again!!

Obviously I suspected the plug connection but various pit stops to fiddle with it did nothing:(

At this point I'm still baffled by it but my next port of call will be the brake light switch.

Will re post when I have another update. If someone has the same problems I have had then this post will be a life saver. Just need to find the cure now:D

attack eagle
06-02-2008, 04:32 AM
try bridging the clutch switch with a piece of wire or (even better) metering it with a dmm to see that it shows continuity with the clutch up

the brake switch should show open on both sets of pins (on is for the lights, the other for the cruise)