PDA

View Full Version : Radiator replacement prices

Unregistered
05-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I posted the other day stating that my car overheated and blew coolant all over the left side of my engine bay. After much searching and learning new things about my car I found out where the coolant came out at and why it did. After seaching the previous threads I learned that the 'necks' of these radiators just happen to rot and break off. I removed my hose and found a nice piece of the old radiator in it. I guess my previous assumption of having a bad hose was wrong and now I realize that I actually have a rotted radiator neck. So theres probably no other solution than to replace the radiator completely.. right?

Im actually on the phone with the recommended (by ya'll) Radiator.com 'expert' and its $244 for it shipped w/ lifetime warranty and then $124 for labor at a local mechanic. Seem right to you guys?

Thanks again.

Jim

94 540i 127k

Robin-535im
05-25-2004, 03:00 PM
radiators.com in my case, just under $200 IIRC. Worth a look to check there. Make sure you get the right brand ( I forget what "right" is but it's probably in the archives :) )

HTH

RobPatt 93 525ia
05-25-2004, 03:14 PM
ALSO:
bmpdesign sells hose and clamp kits... I may get one of these also...
Rob sends....

I posted the other day stating that my car overheated and blew coolant all over the left side of my engine bay. After much searching and learning new things about my car I found out where the coolant came out at and why it did. After seaching the previous threads I learned that the 'necks' of these radiators just happen to rot and break off. I removed my hose and found a nice piece of the old radiator in it. I guess my previous assumption of having a bad hose was wrong and now I realize that I actually have a rotted radiator neck. So theres probably no other solution than to replace the radiator completely.. right?

Im actually on the phone with the recommended (by ya'll) Radiator.com 'expert' and its $244 for it shipped w/ lifetime warranty and then $124 for labor at a local mechanic. Seem right to you guys?

Thanks again.

Jim

94 540i 127k

Dave M
05-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Not sure what a rad for the 540 costs. I've purchased both in the past couple of months (my mistake, returned the Behr) and both seem to be suitable replacements. I believe Behr is considered OEM. You'll have to balance the lifetime warranty with shipping costs and the lower BMA price.

If you have any mechanical aptitude, or care to try, replacement is relatively easy yourself. I prefer to remove the fan clutch as it allows for more room and provides the opportunity to apply some anti-seize. If you go this route, be sure to purchase the clips that attach the rad to the support at the top.

Good luck, keep asking questions

l8apex
05-25-2004, 05:36 PM
My1994 540 now has a stock engine and cooling system, and I tend to have problems with overheating when driving at full speed on the track on hot days. I'm running with 50/50 BMW coolant/water with "Water Wetter" and still having problems (the airflow path through the A/C condenser has been cleaned out). In addition, I'm planning to add a twin screw supercharger "in the vee" when it becomes abvailable from Eurosport, and will hopefully be running 500 to 600 horsepower on a rebuilt/enhanced engine.
I'm going to need extra cooling capacity for my current driving application, and especially for the supercharger per Ron Davis Racing, and they can provide a custom, high-capacity radiator for this application which will accomodate the intended horsepower.
If they sell at least 5 radiators, they will offer a dealer price amounting to a 15% discount. We're talking $600 to $900 for an all-aluminum high-flow radiator compared to $350 for the factory model with plastic end tanks. The exact quote is pending shipping my radiator to them as a model. The radiators can be done within 2 or 3 weeks. Any takers? dbrennan@netins.net

Unregistered
05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
The (no name? I guess its a Behr) radiator for my 540 costs about 250 from BMA w/o shipping and a Nissen radiator is $410. I dunno if thats just a typo on their web site but both list prices are $612. I took Bill R's advice and went with radiator.com and they are sending me a new radiator for $244 with a lifetime warranty (only 20 bucks more for the lifetime) and they found the best quote on where to get it installed in town. Even called and set up the appt for me! All I really need to do is get it towed there. It's kind of weird that its getting replaced at a GM dealership.. **** if GM 'mechanics' could do it, I definatly could!

Jim

Not sure what a rad for the 540 costs.

uscharalph
06-28-2005, 07:16 PM
It's interesting to see these older prices.