PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell am I getting the Washer Fluid Low message?!

e34.535i.sport
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Before you say it... It's not because its low! :p

It started the other day - the gong comes on at random times while driving to scare the **** out of me, every time I drive it now. I hate that thing.

The only sensor I can see is on the 'Intensive' washer fluid box. I unplugged it (or tried to) by pulling up on it and pulled out the big black thing its attached to (guessing this is a pump or something)... When the water came flowing out of the hole I quickly plugged the black thing back in the hole, held it and removed the electrical connector properly checked it and re-connnected it. The intensive washing thing hasn't worked since I bought it but it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just want the gong and warning to F-off. If there's any ideas why the intensive cleaning is dormant however, I'd be interested to hear them.

Any quick fix or am I looking at a faulty sensor here? I should probably clean out the 'tanks' anyway to be honest. The jets on the bonnet keep getting blocked somehow. Probably time for new ones but they are expensive for such small parts...

The tanks aren't leaking just incase thats a suspect.

nirvana19
05-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Its a simple float sensor somewhat similar to the coolant level one and is on the side of the tank. Once I installed the sensor upside down and one my washers stopped working. In trying to figure out what the problem was, I realized the tank was empty (duh) and filled it. The washers worked and I had a "Washer Fluid Low" warning. turned the sensor over and all was good. It could be the sensor itself or the wiring (open circuit leads to warning), the sensor is on the side closer to the outside of the car (you) and towards the bottom.

ThoreauHD
05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
It's a quick fix. Called a Washer Level Sender. Can pick it up at bavauto.com or your shackhole of choice.

Part # : 61 31 1 388 578 $ 24.95

Phatty5BMW
05-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the wires are backwords or something is goofy with mine. I get low washer fluid when my tank is full and no message when its empty! Pisses me off..... :P

Ferret
05-14-2008, 05:20 AM
I think the wires are backwords or something is goofy with mine. I get low washer fluid when my tank is full and no message when its empty! Pisses me off..... :P

On the early E34s, there was no guide for inserting the level sensor into the washer tank.

This means over time the washer sensor can rotate easily to a position on its side or upside down (which would make it gong every time the tanks full, but not while it's empty!)

Pull it out, take note of it's orientation as you do.

When it's in the correct orientation as you hold it out of the tank, the little float should be down in the swung down position. Not laying flat on top of the rest of the device.

I had this happen to me on both my 525i and original 535i sport...

e34.535i.sport
05-14-2008, 01:06 PM
On the early E34s, there was no guide for inserting the level sensor into the washer tank.

This means over time the washer sensor can rotate easily to a position on its side or upside down (which would make it gong every time the tanks full, but not while it's empty!)

Pull it out, take note of it's orientation as you do.

When it's in the correct orientation as you hold it out of the tank, the little float should be down in the swung down position. Not laying flat on top of the rest of the device.

I had this happen to me on both my 525i and original 535i sport...

Cheers I'll look into that and get back! The big black thing came out fairly easy but I just jammed it back in when the water started spilling out!

e34.535i.sport
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the input... Will report back soon as I can...

leicesterboy15
05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Also check the contacts on the float. I think it has contacts anyway, not sure if I'm getting confused with another car! Because its emersed in water you can get crap build up on the contacts to the point where they don't anymore! Give them a clean or just replace the sensor, they're quite cheap.

repenttokyo
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
the wiring harness was loose on my sensor, caused the same problem you are describing.

Ferret
05-17-2008, 03:44 AM
Also check the contacts on the float. I think it has contacts anyway, not sure if I'm getting confused with another car! Because its emersed in water you can get crap build up on the contacts to the point where they don't anymore! Give them a clean or just replace the sensor, they're quite cheap.

Annoyingly they're a reed relay :P

e34.535i.sport
05-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Went at it Ferret style!!! Ended up being the 'float' type connection on the intensive clean bottle I think. I removed both tanks and all the connections and cleaned the contacts on the floaty one (cheers Leicesterboy!) - cleaned the crap outta the tanks and put all of the connections back in making sure float was correctly orientated.

No more annoying gong... THATS what I'm talking about!

Many thanks to all - A cheap (free!) easy fix for once... I like it that way. :D

Paul in NZ
05-17-2008, 05:01 PM
ahhh but does your intensive clean work?.Does your wiper stalk have a push button end like the obc button on the end of the light stalk?And if you push it does anything happen???

e34.535i.sport
05-18-2008, 01:42 AM
ahhh but does your intensive clean work?.Does your wiper stalk have a push button end like the obc button on the end of the light stalk?And if you push it does anything happen???

Nothing I'm afraid... The tank was pretty cruddy at the bottom so I don't know if the pipes will be blocked or not. That could be a PITA to sort out - I hate the fiddly jobs.

repenttokyo
05-18-2008, 10:37 AM

mine works, in all it's useless glory