PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is Too Much (steam/"smoke" from exhaust)

shogun
05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Many cars tend to emit white smoke (steam) through the exhaust in cold/damp conditions, like a chilly spring morning after it rains, or during the winter months. After a few minutes of driving the engine and exhaust system warms up and the steam will all of disappear. If it's a clear warm day and you have that happening, there's a good chance you might have a problem with coolant consumption.

(a) Watch your coolant level closely, twist of the cap and check the level ONLY with the engine off and cooled down, NEVER immediately after it's been running. To make sure it doesn't explode in your face, squeeze the upper radiator hose to see how much pressure is in the system (if the hose is firm, don't touch that cap). Always use a rag when you crack the cap open, never with your bare hands if the system is still hot.

(b) Keep an eye on your temperature gauge! If it begins to climb beyond 3/4 of the way under normal or even highway driving, there's a good chance that you may be getting combustion gases entering the coolant jacket, preventing the water pump from circulating the coolant properly.

Paul in NZ
05-13-2008, 04:04 AM
Many cars tend to emit white smoke (steam) through the exhaust in cold/damp conditions, like a chilly spring morning after it rains, or during the winter months. After a few minutes of driving the engine and exhaust system warms up and the steam will all of disappear. If it's a clear warm day and you have that happening, there's a good chance you might have a problem with coolant consumption.

(a) Watch your coolant level closely, twist of the cap and check the level ONLY with the engine off and cooled down, NEVER immediately after it's been running. To make sure it doesn't explode in your face, squeeze the upper radiator hose to see how much pressure is in the system (if the hose is firm, don't touch that cap). Always use a rag when you crack the cap open, never with your bare hands if the system is still hot.

(b) Keep an eye on your temperature gauge! If it begins to climb beyond 3/4 of the way under normal or even highway driving, there's a good chance that you may be getting combustion gases entering the coolant jacket, preventing the water pump from circulating the coolant properly.

Its more than a few minutes.....up to ten minutes i would say

vping
05-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Mine did that after I started it and it had me worried. It was sitting for 5 years and I thought that maybe I had a blown head gasket. After driving it now for a week or two it does not steam as much, especially after it is warm.

Tiger
05-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Steaming when hot engine means raw fuel in cat converter... meaning you are not burning fuel right. This usually means a bad coil pack, leaky injector, or bad coil boots that allows shorting/arcing to ground instead of plug.

Tiger
05-13-2008, 04:50 PM
If they are not burning the fuel as it is supposed to, yes. Alot of time, it is a multiple culprits.

vping
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
How bout plugs? Would they cause steam?