PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the 530i Trigger

yaofeng
05-12-2008, 07:10 AM
I bought my 540 off of fleabay with a known Nikasil problem. It was flat bed to my house.

BadAss95-530i
05-12-2008, 07:12 AM
i bought mine blind and unsure of the nik status as well. However, it seems i am golden 15mos later. All issues have been non-nik related thus far (fingers crossed and nothing but premium gas).

Golgade
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Well Looks like I am going to pull the trigger and but a 95 530i today. I dont know if it is the Nik. block or not but I am going to assume it is, with 148,000 miles. I have read that you shouldnt assume anything on this engine but for now since it runs well I am going to assume that the motor is in the clear for now. I have two other questions that could change my mind, one is what is the average engine life for this motor, and second is how many people have actually had the Nik problem? If its something like half the people who have had the car have had the problem then i suppose it really isnt worth it.
Dan Lafley

bimmo_2007
05-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I have six years experience with m60, I didn't have any problem with engine or nik stuff:) (Fortunately),but I have a problem now with tranny 5HP30 which belongs to 4.0 L engines.

h2oyo
05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Well Looks like I am going to pull the trigger and but a 95 530i today. I dont know if it is the Nik. block or not but I am going to assume it is, with 148,000 miles. I have read that you shouldnt assume anything on this engine but for now since it runs well I am going to assume that the motor is in the clear for now. I have two other questions that could change my mind, one is what is the average engine life for this motor, and second is how many people have actually had the Nik problem? If its something like half the people who have had the car have had the problem then i suppose it really isnt worth it.
Dan Lafley

I have a 95 540i also, I have had it for only about 6 months. I love the car and so far no problems with the motor. The transmission had a problem but I knew about that. I had a leak down test done on the car before I bought it and said all was fine in regards to the Nik thing. I really didnt know which one was in the car. I still dont but I didnt worry about so much after the test.
Johan