PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes

INAC...it's a BMW!!!
05-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm a proud new owner of a used BMW, really excited about it. Quick question: is it safe to take a BMW to any oil lube place? Can I change it myself? Any recommendations for oil (brand/type). I've a '94 540i.

Thanks!!

632 Regal
05-25-2004, 01:19 PM
first thing I would suggest is to remove the filter cap and pull the filter out and make sure you have the upgraded filter kit. It is an insert that goes inside the filter where the old style doesnt have the insert. If you do just pick up a filter and some Mobil 1 0w-40 or if you cant find it use the 5w-30. If you dont have the filter tube pick one up and then change the oil.

First time I changed my oil I had the old filter deal and wasted 8 quarts of fresh oil, I also got a little out of hand with the guy (Bruno) because I had no clue about the filter upgrade but he was too cool and sent me what I needed so I could try it again.

Changing it yourself is not much different than any other car except the filter cap thing that you should use a socket on so that you dont beat it up too much.

mholbrook
05-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Welcome aboard. There is no reason not to change the oil on your 540 yourself. The oil filter is topside under the hood and is very easy to get at. You can buy a special wrench or use a channel lock pliers to turn the cap. Do not tighten it too hard either as it is plastic and does not need to be torqued down. The filter sort of pops up and the oil drains to the pan. Let it drain a few minutes before you remove it. The oil plug is easy to get to, probably do not even have to raise the car. At the most, driving it up on a couple of 2x8 blocks would be enough. It takes 8 quarts of your favorite synth oil. I recommend 5w30, 10w30 or 10w40. I believe the book calls for 5w30. Mobile 1 is available in gallons at WalMart. Filters from BMA (www.bmaparts.com) Order a new air filter too.

Sometime very soon in the immediate not distant future, pull the cover off the spark plgu galleys and be sure they are dry down there. If there is oil, then you need to change the valve cover gaskets. Oil will cause the coil packs to fry so check regularly.

Enjoy the car....it's world class!