PDA

View Full Version : Radiator issues and questions

Black 535i
05-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I just noticed leaking at the upper radiator hose on my car. Ot leaks all the way down to the plastic cowl u/s the engine. Could it be that it is just the hose gone bad or would it be the neck that is split? I have not removed it to see yet as it is too hot to handle. I will have a better answer tomorrow on that. Is there also a plastic weld to fix the hose neck rather than getting a whole new radiator? Hose is $60.00 rather than $360.00 for a new rad.

NimbleCow
05-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi.

I just had the same break on the radiator at the neck.

Moved the hose up and put on a bigger clamp--pretty snug seal.

3 days later it blew off.

I would say clamp/seal/weld until your new radiator comes in the mail--with your fingers crossed!!

e34.535i.sport
05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey, the top hose connector on mine broke off recently. Well half of it. Luckily I was able to get the hose back on enough and a hoseclamp. I decided to get a new Rad as my thinking was if that bit has broke and left me stranded with no coolant then it could happen again... Fitted the new rad today and really pleased with it, nice easy job to do and not too expensive for peace of mind (Cooling system on m30 is important!).

However it was brought to my attention that if yours has broken off in a similar way to mine there is a plastic protrusion on the plastic part where the hose goes on that you can simply file down and get the hose on further to avoid leaks etc. I personally wouldn't trust the plastic weld with the extreme conditions the plastic has to put up with.

Did you find out exactly what was causing the leak yet?

Robin-535im
05-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I just noticed leaking at the upper radiator hose on my car. Ot leaks all the way down to the plastic cowl u/s the engine. Could it be that it is just the hose gone bad or would it be the neck that is split? I have not removed it to see yet as it is too hot to handle. I will have a better answer tomorrow on that. Is there also a plastic weld to fix the hose neck rather than getting a whole new radiator? Hose is $60.00 rather than $360.00 for a new rad.

Like the others... I chose a new radiator when moving the clamp up a bit didn't fix it. Easy job to do - get some of the plastic clamp pieces (Don Gale sells them too) if/when you get the radiator.

$360 seems a little high - is that BMA or one of the big radiator houses? There have been some posts on brands to get / avoid though I don't recall the recommendations.

HTH

- Robin

Black 535i
05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
It was the plastic protrusion from the radiator after inspection. Snapped off 1/2" from the tank. Just managed to get it back on and to my mechanics yesterday. Was quoted $190.00 for an original Behr radiator and one hour labour. Will get it back tomorrow evening. I could do it myself but it is 50F and 25 mph winds in Chicago today as well if he does I get a warranty and peace of mind.

e34.535i.sport
05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
It was the plastic protrusion from the radiator after inspection. Snapped off 1/2" from the tank. Just managed to get it back on and to my mechanics yesterday. Was quoted $190.00 for an original Behr radiator and one hour labour. Will get it back tomorrow evening. I could do it myself but it is 50F and 25 mph winds in Chicago today as well if he does I get a warranty and peace of mind.

Good stuff - glad you got it sorted for a good price. I paid more than that just for the rad over here and done it myself. Nice job to do compared to some (subframe bushes :( )!