PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light came on for a few

Jehu
05-08-2008, 11:10 PM
. Drove the car hard for about 2 hrs. Stopped for Wiper Fluid before getting back on the Highway and decided to also grab some Lubro Moly Products. I got the VALVE CLEAN and the MOTOR OIL TREATMENT
MOS2 ANTI-FRICTION-300ml emptied them in to the proper place. Gas tank for the Valve Cleaner,Crank Case for the Oil additive. Drove it hard for an hour or so on the highway arrived at a destination got out for a minute and when i came back noticed the CEL was on.I immediately shut the car off for a minute then looked under the hood just to see if anything was smoking,leaking or melting and all looked, smelled and sounded ok but the light stayed on. Eng temp perfect I chose to drive on. I drove just a half mile or so and found a parking lot ,pulled in and shut it off to read the Owners Manual. Didn't find anything about the CEL so I started it again and it went out. Hasn't come back on after another hour and half of driving... Any guesses what caused this? I've used both these products before without this happening.. Maybe some deposits flaked off in the combustion chamber then burned up?

glen-sj
05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Do the stomp test to retreive the trouble code. Turn ingition to on (engine not running) and press the gas pedal to the floor five times within five seconds and watch the check engine light. It'll flash once for about two seconds and go off, now count the next series of flashes to id the code. For example - It'll start with one flash then a brief pause, then two flashes, pause, two more flashes, pause and two more flashes = 1222. Here is a link to how to interpret the codes. http://www.e38.org/e32/bmw%20code%20defaut.pdf