PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad deposits on wheel: dust vs resin?

Gene in NC
05-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Brake pad deposits on wheel: dust vs resin?

We have two '89 525s.

One is automatic and long time user of Axxis Metalmasters- little dust but little black specks that must be resin. Specks are bonded on and won't come off. Wife as driver runs up to stop light/sign and hits the brakes. 165k but lots of in town. Original pads/rotors replaced at 60k+. ATE rotors with Metalmasters just replaced at 165k. ***Rotors not changed. Shop disregarded my request for Metalmasters and used Pagids.***

One is recent buy 5s with ATE pads/rotors with 20 to 30k. Pads are eating the rotors and making a helluva mess with the dust. Most use on road. Tot miles 185k.

Not happy with either choice of pads. Maybe a little dust is better than the resin deposits. What do you suggest?

Oh, by the way, '85 535 with black wheels could care less. Just upgraded to e34 525 brakes with mystery pads. Excellent braking action, very bad shimmy on braking completely eliminated, and black wheels show nothing.

Sixdown
05-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Brake dust/resin is also pissing me off. It adheres way too much to my 2002 E39 wheels...and trying to clean it off can be a huge pain. This is only with my front wheels, so any suggestions on pad brads that cause less dust?

I'm also not sure if its resin, but it sticks very well and its also just specks.

Paul in NZ
05-09-2008, 03:53 AM
the black specks is tar isnt it??

BMWCCA1
05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Try waxing your wheels. There's even special wheel wax if you want to go that far.

nirvana19
05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Brake dust/resin is also pissing me off. It adheres way too much to my 2002 E39 wheels...and trying to clean it off can be a huge pain. This is only with my front wheels, so any suggestions on pad brads that cause less dust?

I'm also not sure if its resin, but it sticks very well and its also just specks.

Stock pads do that.. my neighbors car has always been like that. Don't know the difference between resin and dust, but that stuff gets all over the place, including the specs. Only solution is the low-dust or super low-dust pads.

Gene in NC
05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Paul, gasoline as solvent removes most of the black which must be dust. However the surface is not clean. Texture is rough, A bit like sand paper but with low density and the "pips" are not sharp.

Having faint recall that one of my engineer buddies claimed that resin that is part of the pad compound heats, vaporizes and redeposits on the wheel surface.

If that is true, the only solution may be abrasion and refinishing.

Gene in NC
05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Engineer reports, "Gene in NC stretching on resin vaporizing but droplets depositing on wheel a good explanation for condition"

632 Regal
05-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Raybestos QS for me leaves no detectable dust or resins, it also requires NO bed in procedure.