PDA

View Full Version : Might be getting Nitrious Soon...questions

bad_manners_god
05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey guys, I'm in Auto-Mech school and where learning about transmissions and differentials.

We were talking in class and a Nitrious topic came up. I asked my teacher a bunch of questions about it as a product itself in general, not specific to E34's however.

So basically, he can get me a Dry (75) Shot, 6 Port Kit for about $400 and will help with the install since he's done it before on his cars.

Questions:

1.) Is my auto tranny going to be able to handle the power with breaking?
2.) Is it a good price for the kit? I'm not a NOS expert
3.) What are some other things I should consider when installing/using the NOS
4.) Comments/Opinions/Suggestions....no flaming please.

repenttokyo
05-08-2008, 10:16 PM
have you ever been to the drag strip or are you going to be using your nitrous on the street?

btw, NOS is a company, it doesn't mean 'nitrous'.

Sixdown
05-08-2008, 10:25 PM
You will be putting a lot of instantaneous strain on your drivetrain, which will probably bust your automatic transmission or wear it down much faster. If you plan to keep the car a long time, please don't harm your car unless you can afford to fix it. The Differential can probably handle it depending on its condition.

400 bucks is relatively cheap, but it all depends on quality and brand.

If you are serious about it and are going to install the kit, it would obviously be best if you check out your injectors, drivetrain, torque converter, engine oil, and those obvious basics. With your lower mileage, its less risky than if I tried it, but anything can happen when you stress your engine past its designed purpose.

I am not expert on the M50 engines, but others can chime in.
Nitrous Oxide will basically rev your engine very high very fast, and with common sense I would assume you know that any higher RPMs on an engine creates faster wear and tear.

Anyway, got more pics of your car and the engine?

bad_manners_god
05-08-2008, 10:28 PM
have you ever been to the drag strip or are you going to be using your nitrous on the street?

btw, NOS is a company, it doesn't mean 'nitrous'.

I've been to the drag, but the touring is too slow on take off, I usually go with my dads E36 328I Convertible with a 4.10 LSD....

I'll try it out at the track for fun, but mostly going to be on the highway or street for that little extra kick.

Now that you mention it, for some reason I was under the impression that NOS stood for Nitrious Oxidie, but when you actually try to abbrievate Nitrious Oxide in NOS, it doesn't work. I'll just call it NSO.

bad_manners_god
05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
You will be putting a lot of instantaneous strain on your drivetrain, which will probably bust your automatic transmission or wear it down much faster. If you plan to keep the car a long time, please don't harm your car unless you can afford to fix it. The Differential can probably handle it depending on its condition.

400 bucks is relatively cheap, but it all depends on quality and brand.

If you are serious about it and are going to install the kit, it would obviously be best if you check out your injectors, drivetrain, torque converter, engine oil, and those obvious basics. With your lower mileage, its less risky than if I tried it, but anything can happen when you stress your engine past its designed purpose.

I am not expert on the M50 engines, but others can chime in.
Nitrous Oxide will basically rev your engine very high very fast, and with common sense I would assume you know that any higher RPMs on an engine creates faster wear and tear.

Anyway, got more pics of your car and the engine?

Engine is pretty stock, I have actually upgraded the injectors to the #19 Injectors, Chip, Exhaust, Intake.

If the tranny blows I'd be pretty happy....gives me a great excuse to swap it too manual. I know the Torque Convertor seal is leaking slowly, but like I said, if I'm taking out the tranny, it's going to be swapped to manual. Drivetrain is pretty good conidition. Diff is nice and clean.

I'll really be using Nitrious in 3rd or 4th to not stress it too much.

repenttokyo
05-08-2008, 10:35 PM
I've been to the drag, but the touring is too slow on take off, I usually go with my dads E36 328I Convertible with a 4.10 LSD....

I'll try it out at the track for fun, but mostly going to be on the highway or street for that little extra kick.

Now that you mention it, for some reason I was under the impression that NOS stood for Nitrious Oxidie, but when you actually try to abbrievate Nitrious Oxide in NOS, it doesn't work. I'll just call it NSO.

That convertible must be very very slow on the drag strip, I would guess you have gone to the 1/8 mile at st-eustache and not the 1/4?

NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems.

You COULD call it N20, which is the chemical name...dunno what NSO would stand for.

Don't take this the wrong way, but wait a few years before you get Nitrous in your street car. You just wrecked one of you parents cars, do you want to wreck one of your own too? If your parents love you, they won't let you get it.

bad_manners_god
05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
That convertible must be very very slow on the drag strip, I would guess you have gone to the 1/8 mile at st-eustache and not the 1/4?

NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems.

You COULD call it N20, which is the chemical name...dunno what NSO would stand for.

Don't take this the wrong way, but wait a few years before you get Nitrous in your street car. You just wrecked one of you parents cars, do you want to wreck one of your own too? If your parents love you, they won't let you get it.

Sorry, dunno why I wrote 4.10, it's a 3.61....confused my Diff. I've done St-Eustache, passing the cones coming up to 4th gear redline at about 160

NSO: NitrouS Oxide ....lol

I'll get the N20 System now since I'm in school and I have 5 teacher's that know a ton of stuff and a great board to come to for everything else.

The thing about my cat is that I know it's properly maintained and there is no play in the suspension that I would have to worry about doing 140km or more.
What happened with my dad's car was a mechanial suspension failure, that doesn't happen on my car since I bring it onto the lift at least once every 2 weeks and do a full undercar inspection.

attack eagle
05-08-2008, 11:01 PM
yeah but since it is a touring he can let some of the giggle gas loose in the cabin before class and really enjoy his day... :)

Where is a question... where do you plan on mounting the bottle? I'd say the only good place to mount it is the the left cubby, but that means small bottle and frequent refills... and you will still be slow as sin until you get past legal speeds.
to me there is no POINT to running a 75 shot in 3rd only (you don't run n20 in OD because it requires WOT).

You should jsut do the 5 speed swap and pick up a bunch of usable down low power that way... then you are only dead slow to 5-10 mph instead of 30ish.

bad_manners_god
05-08-2008, 11:10 PM
yeah but since it is a touring he can let some of the giggle gas loose in the cabin before class and really enjoy his day... :)

Where is a question... where do you plan on mounting the bottle? I'd say the only good place to mount it is the the left cubby, but that means small bottle and frequent refills... and you will still be slow as sin until you get past legal speeds.
to me there is no POINT to running a 75 shot in 3rd only (you don't run n20 in OD because it requires WOT).

You should jsut do the 5 speed swap and pick up a bunch of usable down low power that way... then you are only dead slow to 5-10 mph instead of 30ish.

I don't get high before class, after class or anywhere in-between the rest of my life. I can put it in my Spare Tire. I've pretty much cut trunk space in half with the big amp, capacitor, custom strut bar and jbl dual 12" enclosure...

Should I run a bigger shot, say 100 or even 150 or would that guartnee transmission failure. The only reason I haven't done the 5 speed swap yet is that I don't loathe getting under the steering wheel and having a go at the pedal's during the few months of summer we have.

I'll be able to drive it this summer, hopefully scrap the tranny and then have all winter to do the swap peacefully, since it's not winter driven anyway.

1st = 80
2nd = 135
3rd = 180
4th = The rest

I figured 3rd since 2nd starts to catch some power past the 3000rpm mark. So it would be safe to use a 75shot is 2nd?

attack eagle
05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
IMO it is n;t safe to use it in any gear with the POS 4l30e. If you are going to use it you might as well use it in all the gears...

When you do the swap... you'll find out the pedals are the easiest and quickest part... Less than 90 minutes start to finish (panel off to all panels back on) the first time by myself. (almost 30 minutes was spent re hanging the upper column because I had no helper to hold it snug and I kept bumping it off).

did it in under 50 minutes start to finish the last time.
it is literally EASY if you are not afraid of the headless safety bolt. you only have to barely move that bolt as it is only just past finger tight. once it moves even an 8th inch you turn it out with your fingers.

525i winter driver
05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't get high before class, after class or anywhere in-between the rest of my life.

once again i live in fear

Booster
05-09-2008, 12:32 PM

He speaketh the truth! I couldn't believe how much more UMPH my donor 5-speed M50 car had than my slushbox M50.
It felt as if there was an additional 100 hp in there.Butt Dyno, that is.
Cheers,Vinny

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't get high before class, after class or anywhere in-between the rest of my life.

maybe you should start.

Then pondering NO2 injection would be replaced by deep thoughts, like...how many Pink Floyd CDs really fit in a 6 disc changer.

repenttokyo
05-09-2008, 07:20 PM
maybe you should start.

Then pondering NO2 injection would be replaced by deep thoughts, like...how many Pink Floyd CDs really fit in a 6 disc changer.

healtoeit
05-09-2008, 09:30 PM
4.) Comments/Opinions/Suggestions....no flaming please.
I think summit racing sells kits of NOS for around $600

Have you upgraded your brakes at all? Have you ever tried to stop you car from 100 mph? My point is your 525i brakes are getting WAY too small.

bad_manners_god
05-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I think summit racing sells kits of NOS for around $600

Have you upgraded your brakes at all? Have you ever tried to stop you car from 100 mph? My point is your 525i brakes are getting WAY too small.

Everything brakes are upgraded apart from calipers

Super Blue ATE Racing Fluid
Stainless Steel Lines
Drilled Rotors
PBR Organic Pads.

Stop the car from 100mph feels like hitting a wall, there's tons of bite. Next step would be 4 or 6 pot caliper's with 2-piece rotors.

Might not even happen since I won't be keeping the car.