PDA

View Full Version : Chimes ringing, strange problem

Dom
05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a 91 525i/5speed/165,000miles.
When I shut off the ignition and pull the key, the chimes will start up after about 30 seconds.
I've pulled fuses and the only one to stop the chimes is #20
#20 fuse is for:
1. instument cluster/check control
2.park tail lightsInterior lights
3. Climate control
4. on-board computer
5. electronic throttle control
I have pulled other fuses with #20 in place with no results. I pulled the ccm and still chimes.
I've checked my fluild levels, everything is fine. Brake lights are bright.
Car runs great.

Any ideas would be apprciated.

attack eagle
05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
is it the door chime or what?

bmwrp8
05-09-2008, 01:58 AM
what does the On board computer say?

Dom
05-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I've had some strange electrical problems the last couple of months. The radio going out intermitantly(sp), the chimes under the dash ringing 30 sec. after I turn the ignition off. One poster suggested I get a new battery, I did and everything is back to normal. I would have thought that it would have been hard to start before the radio went out, go figure.
I want to thank all who checked out my post and offered advice. I turn to this group before I do any repair.
Thanks Dom

Paul in NZ
05-10-2008, 05:10 AM
i think the reason for this is the complex wiring system has many grounds and points of resistance.As battery voltage(the driving force) gets low these points fool the check system into triggering alarms.A new battery pushes past these reitance points.A simple analogy perhaps but low voltage does cause trouble in these cars.

bmwrp8
05-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I've had some strange electrical problems the last couple of months. The radio going out intermitantly(sp), the chimes under the dash ringing 30 sec. after I turn the ignition off. One poster suggested I get a new battery, I did and everything is back to normal. I would have thought that it would have been hard to start before the radio went out, go figure.
I want to thank all who checked out my post and offered advice. I turn to this group before I do any repair.
Thanks Dom

try checking the fusible link