PDA

View Full Version : Front end knocking

infurno
05-08-2008, 06:02 PM
A few months ago I changed my:

Thrust arms
Tie rods
control arms

There was still a knocking in the front end while driving. The weather improved and today I changed my idler arm.

The knocking is now twice as bad.

Whats should I look at next?
Center tie rod?

repenttokyo
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
what do your shocks look like? When do you get the knocking?

infurno
05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Shocks are in bad shape... But shocks are a much more complex repair, I would probably need to find someone to help me.

They are expensive too... I thought that if its the center tie rod, I can buy that now and change it myself in a single afternoon.

Next on my list is the rear Trailing Arm Link (dog bones?)

repenttokyo
05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
i have a very bad knock from my left front shock, replacing it next week. It is a bit expensive, but if you only replace one, or the front two it's not so bad.

If you let a bad shock stay on your car too long, you run the risk of damaging other components from all the extra motion in the suspension. You could end up replacing top and bottom mounts too.

The Bigfella
05-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Check your anti-roll bar links.

Sam-Son
05-08-2008, 10:02 PM
end links

repenttokyo
05-08-2008, 10:17 PM
end links

end links are more of a rattle than a knock.

Sam-Son
05-09-2008, 01:16 AM
if hes gonna be thorough checkin the endlinks should be on his list of things to check also theyre much cheaper to replace than shocks

repenttokyo
05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
if hes gonna be thorough checkin the endlinks should be on his list of things to check also theyre much cheaper to replace than shocks

i know, i've replaced mine, but they didn't take care of my knock, they took care of my rattling ;) it's like a metallic jingle when you pass over bumps.

Tiger
05-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Change sway bar links! I had this problem too. Ball joint is gone.

infurno
05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
We are talking about this right?

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/hardpart/31351134582.jpg

healtoeit
05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
There was still a knocking in the front end while driving.

1: Is the knock only when you turn your wheel?
If so then it could be your spring rotating in its perch, bad shocks would cause this
2: is it when you go over bumps
If so, it might be your sway bar link/links are loose

e34.535i.sport
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Tighten your sway bar links, The sound is the nut rattling against the swaybar
I had the same problem and tightening the links fixed it. The pic you linked is the sway bar link

I second that motion... I replaced mine, couple of months down the line the nuts had come loose and were making a racket so tightened them up and voila... Problem solved.

infurno
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Its only over bumps. Ever since I changed the idler arm and got new tires, sounds like the car is falling apart in the front end. Going over rough road getting about ~8-15 knocks/rattles per second.

Was never this bad before.

When they were changing my tires, I took a chance to tug on them. The wheels are not loose, made a bit of of sound but nothing like when I had to replace parts.

Turning the wheel has never made any sounds.

healtoeit
05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
When they were changing my tires, I took a chance to tug on them. The wheels are not loose, made a bit of of sound but nothing like when I had to replace parts.

Turning the wheel has never made any sounds.
I had the same problem and tightening the links fixed it. The pic you linked is the sway bar link

infurno
05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I had the same problem and tightening the links fixed it.

Thanks, I will try that tonight.

They are probably in horrible shape, I'll go ahead and order new ones tonight.

Sam-Son
05-09-2008, 12:37 PM
We are talking about this right?

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/hardpart/31351134582.jpg
ja

525i winter driver
05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
i have a very bad knock from my left front shock, replacing it next week. It is a bit expensive, but if you only replace one, or the front two it's not so bad.

i replaced that one last fall - was too cheap to do both but the ride is still ok as far as i can tell.

AngryPopTart
05-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I also get the bad knock going over bumps! I looked inside the fenderwells and my front left shock is completely blown out; suspension fluid all over the place.

repenttokyo
05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I also get the bad knock going over bumps! I looked inside the fenderwells and my front left shock is completely blown out; suspension fluid all over the place.

EXACTLY like my car.