PDA

View Full Version : OEM Radio removal

vping
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Has anyone fashioned a tool to take the radio our or is this something I need to go the dealer for? I'm trying to figure out the code so I can at least listen to some tunes.

pgrindstaff
05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
All you have to do is open the little doors on either side of the radio and use a hex bit to unscrew it. I don't know exactly what size but I'd say the right one would probably be in a set that you could buy.

vping
05-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Do you mean a small torx?

Robin-535im
05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Do you mean a small torx?
You've got a Magnette?

Those are a blast... I used to work restoring MG's and Triumph's.

did the Magnette have suicide doors or am I thinking of the fiat millecento?

BMWCCA1
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Actually, it's a 5-sided hex, not a normal Allen or TorX, but you can usually jam a tiny screwdriver in there and make it work.

Russell
05-08-2008, 03:54 AM
e-bay has radio removal kits for about $20 which includes the BMW radio removal tools as well as Ford , Mercedes, VW and Audi.

vping
05-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the info on the radio removal. Going to try it later. I've gotta get that code now.

The Magnette is a parts car. I just got it on Saturday and am stripping every nut and bolt to help out other enthusiasts.

glen-sj
05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
I've done it with a metric allen wrench.

JD525IA
05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Has anyone fashioned a tool to take the radio our or is this something I need to go the dealer for? I'm trying to figure out the code so I can at least listen to some tunes.

You can get one from Bavarian Auto for about $10. I have one and used it mainly to access anything in the upper center console behind the radio. Lot of indys will get your code for you. They have to first get the serial # of the radio off of the back of the unit.

Did you lose the radio manual that has the code in it?

JD

vping
05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
The PO did not give it to me yet. He is still trying to locate all of the paperwork. I only have the Owners Manual. I should be trying to get it out tonight.

How can I contact these "indys"

vping
05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
So I got it out but what do I do now?

Qsilver7
05-09-2008, 01:46 PM
So I got it out but what do I do now?
take the radio and ID with you to a local BMW dealer and ask them to pull up the radio's CODE...again, they will need the serial number off the radio...and manytimes proof that you own the car. Make sure you have ID and car registration just in case they ask.

The whole idea of the CODE was for anti-theft protection...so that's why you may be asked to identify yourself and prove that you're the owner of the car.

You may want to try the audio forum at bimmerforums.com , too...there used to be a member there that had acess to the database for the BMW radio codes and all you needed to do is post your radio's serial number and he'd reply with your CODE.

Good luck.

vping
05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Radio came with the allen key method and found the serial number on the back. I took it to the dealer and they kinda looked at me funny but when I gave them the # and my Registration I guess they thought I was on the level. Bimmer dealer is filled with snootys and I guess an unshaven, ballcap and shorts wearing guy can't possibly drive a bimmer. "Hey pal it's a '90. Do you really think I stole it?"