PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak but not sure where.

vping
05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I've got an oil leak on the Front left side (passenger) bottom of the engine. It does not seem to leak when it is running but when I turn it off, there is a good drip which when it stops leaves a 3" diameter puddle under the car. I cannot really see too well where is might be coming from so I figured I'd post about it and see what everyones guess is.

shogun
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
visit my website below and read

Fluids/Oil - Consistency and Coulors for Diagnostic

Sixdown
05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I know I have a minor typical front-of-engine oil leak, but I've also recently noticed a line of oil dripping from the side of the engine block. The drops follow the gasket from front to back. Would it be worth replacing the headgasket, if its even that, when the oil leak is so minor? I can't see where its coming from, nor can I confirm its from the headgasket.

Sixdown
05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I know I have a minor typical front-of-engine oil leak, but I've also recently noticed a line of oil dripping from the side of the engine block. The drops follow the gasket from front to back. Would it be worth replacing the headgasket, if its even that, when the oil leak is so minor? I can't see where its coming from, but I do know its dripping down the passenger side of the oil pan (it is not coming from the pan gasket).

Vping, it sounds like you have the common 535I front engine leak that I've heard about. Can one tighten some bolts to fix it?

shogun
05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I know I have a minor typical front-of-engine oil leak, but I've also recently noticed a line of oil dripping from the side of the engine block. The drops follow the gasket from front to back. Would it be worth replacing the headgasket, if its even that, when the oil leak is so minor? I can't see where its coming from, but I do know its dripping down the passenger side of the oil pan (it is not coming from the pan gasket).

Vping, it sounds like you have the common 535I front engine leak that I've heard about. Can one tighten some bolts to fix it?

front engine leak on 535 M30 engine, see my website link to

Jon Evans Website

details with pics there

vping
05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Cant' seem to locate that article.