PDA

View Full Version : Radio backlight problem or something else?

Jeff in MN
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
my 1990 535i has the standard am/fm/cassette with remote cd changer in
the trunk. My problem is that when I turn the unit on, I can see the station numbers clearly, but then they disappear after 1 - 5 seconds. Then they will re-appear for only one second each time I turn the radio off and on. This afternoon after sitting for 4 hours, I turn the unit on and they stayed visible for like 20 seconds, then faded out.
Thanks for any comments,

Kibokojoe
05-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes I had this problem in the past. It is not a easy fix. You have to remove the digital screen and clean the edges. I used a spray electrical cleaner. Problem is the screen is not soldered to the board it is a press fit and dirt or oil will cause problems.

Ken

Ross
05-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Agreed. You could try pressing on the display area, if the display comes back it's the issue kibokoloe mentions.

Jeff in MN
05-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes I had this problem in the past. It is not a easy fix. You have to remove the digital screen and clean the edges. I used a spray electrical cleaner. Problem is the screen is not soldered to the board it is a press fit and dirt or oil will cause problems.

Ken
and report back if good luck goes my way. Right now it's change channel, turn off to see channel, turn on and decide if I need to change channel again. Super Pita.

Kibokojoe
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Make sure you know your code

Jeff in MN
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Make sure you know your code
reset the radio and my wife called me on the road, blah, blah, blah radio won't work. Naturally she had hit every button 5 times and it took me 3 days for everything to settle out and accept the code. Thanks.