PDA

View Full Version : Front guard removal

t.wak
05-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Hi everyone

Tried searching but didn't really find what I was after... I could've sworn about a month ago I found a page that gave you step by step instructions on removing the front guards on the E34... Time has come for me to put on a fresh panel, but don't want to tackle it without instructions.

IIRC, headlight removal is required and there are hidden bolts somewhere...

Thanks

Aden

Russell
05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi everyone

Tried searching but didn't really find what I was after... I could've sworn about a month ago I found a page that gave you step by step instructions on removing the front guards on the E34... Time has come for me to put on a fresh panel, but don't want to tackle it without instructions.

IIRC, headlight removal is required and there are hidden bolts somewhere...

Thanks

Aden
What is a front guard? Do you mean bumper cover?

If so, check the bentley as it show how to remove the trim strips and bumper bolts etc.

glen-sj
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
If you're looking to remove the front grill. Then here is the page.
http://home.comcast.net/~winstonfong/repairpagessite2/frontgrillremoval.htm

Ferret
05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I found the quickest way to get the front grille off is to pop the rubber strips out of the front bonnet, spin the nuts off and pull the front bumper off in less than 2 minutes... this way you can unclip the metal bit under the headlamps with virtually no fiddling and you've got loads of access to the frames underneath!

t.wak
05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Umm, must be called something different in the US.. Front fender? The front side panel that covers the front wheelhouse.

Espen
05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
You would need to remove the bumper first, then there is 5 bolts along the bonnet towards the engine. Iirc its also a bolt under the door hinge.

t.wak
05-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I did it last night, a lot easier than I thought.

2 bolts in the door jamn, to remove the door must be wide open.

2 bolts on the bottom of the fender on the sideskirt

- Remove F bumper
- Remove bumper slide

1 bolt above bumper slide

About 8 bolts running along top edge of fender, easiest to remove the top seal first of course.

I also had a screw going from behind the lower headlight trim into the F corner of the fender, COULD NOT GET TO IT, so I chopped it off. New fender still sits perfectly in that area.