PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions please Shocks/Brakes

tjar66
05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
OK guys and gals, I have come across a wealth of informtion on this site and have fixed many naggin issues on my 1989 525i M20 Auto. Next in line is Shocks Struts and Brakes. Thanks to Uncle Sam I have a few extra bucks to play with so....
Struts and Shocks - I thought about lowering and a sport suspension but my wife drives the car as well and to be honest even with sloppy struts I can't over power them with the enimic power. I am looking for a Strut and Shock combo close to stock maybe a bit firmer. I can pick up KYB's for under 200.00.
Are these going to work for what I want. I am not autocrossing the car just maybe a bit sprited on back roads.
Brakes - I am in need of pads all around and minimum of rear rotors and I believe mine are slightly warped. I have a slight chassis wiggle under beaking but it is not in the steering wheel. I would like something that is low dusting because the 16" basketweaves are a B**** to keep clean. So I am thinking ceramic then a friend tells me that ceramic pads are as he describe very touchy they feel like nothing until they grab then they GRAB HARD. Can anyone confirm or deny my buddies theory or is he full of beer.

How many people have used any rotors off of fleabay??

Thanks in advance for your input and advice:)

bad_manners_god
05-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I have 4 Magnum Drilled Rotor's all around that I got from ebay for 140 Shipped.

Probably 1 of the biggest differences in braking quality I ever had. Not to mention, the rear rotors are about 100 each, more expensive than the front

healtoeit
05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Well, from my experience you should look at sway bars. You say you have not overwhelmed the stock spring/shock combo, If what you want is less lean from you car in corners get sways (racing dynamics are great). To put this into perspective I have tracked my car with stock springs and upgraded sways. YES they help handling that much!
The only reason I am lowering my car is I track and auto X mine. Bilstein HD shocks would be a good stock replacement, I do not know how stiff they are. DO NOT GET BAV AUTO springs! They are way too soft and people bottom them out all the time.
For brakes I think your wiggle is due to a warped rotor. you can get stock replacement. For the street, slotted is kind of pointless. The stopping power is the caliper and the pad. I suggest EBC green stuff but HAWK makes great pads as well. The ceramic pads need to warm up before they grab. This is great for spirited driving but not so good for normal driving. It is something you really have to be aware of when starting out in the morning. Another thing about the ceramics is that they dust a lot more then the non ceramics.
There is my 2 cents :D hope it helps

Russell
05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
"Ceramics dust a lot more than ceramics" healtoit, where did you get that? My Raybesto QS ceramic pads have had almost no dust for about 40,000 miles. This is one of the selling points of ceramics.

healtoeit
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
"Ceramics dust a lot more than ceramics" healtoit, where did you get that? My Raybesto QS ceramic pads have had almost no dust for about 40,000 miles. This is one of the selling points of ceramics.
Sorry, I meant performance ceramic pads. TY for the correction

repenttokyo
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Hawk HP for low dusting pads, HP+ for padsthat dust but have a lot more bite.

tjar66
05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the input.
Here is what I am coming up with:
Shocks and Struts - KYB Gr-2 $225.00 Bilstien HD's 439.00
Are the Bilstiens that much better.....?

I found an entire brake kit front and rear Brembo rotors with redbox Mintex pads. and wear sensors for 300.00
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these products.

Do the strut mounts need to be replaced as well or only if they are meesed up?

repenttokyo
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
You can get bilstein sports for that same price as HD's and they are a much 'better' shock - I just ordered a set for my car.

Vanguard
05-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I picked up my KYB GR-2s on eBay for about $220 or so.

http://stores.ebay.com/jdmwerks13

Front Rotors were from NAPA and PBR Metal Masters from www.europarts-sd.com. The PBRs are great.