PDA

View Full Version : Pls. Help...I think my trans just crapped out!

EricV
05-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Hello all. Been on and off of this forum for some years- always appreciate it. I've a '93 525 5 sp. manual w/ 113K on it- trans flushed at around 90K. Always been great to me, this car has been very well cared for (I've had it 7 years now.) I need your sage guidance, insight and advice...

I'm freaked. I just went out and it looks like my transmission is toast. Over the course of a twenty minute drive, the following occured:

-first off, it got stuck in 2nd gear as I left my street, and once out of 2nd it would make a mild grinding noise going in again- all other gears seemed fine at that precise moment in time.

- a few miles later it felt as though it wasn't fully slotted in 2nd, and would pop out altogether. If I held the shifter, in 2nd, it warbled around in my hand (visibly and by feel) and clearly wouldn't stay in 2nd- constant pop out.

- then in 3rd and 4th (primarily 3rd) it started making the slight grind, and I could hear/feel an odd noise in the drivetrain, kind of seemed like a metallic warbling sound/feel. This was in the parking lot of a nearby shopping center. Had to get it home just a few miles away...

- I drove it using 1st, 3rd and 4th, and on the way home none of those seemed to protest- at least no more weirdness in that short time. I arrived home and shut down (the car, and myself...this cool beer seems to be helping though. :)

So- safe to assume the trans is hosed? Here are my Q's:

-What all should I be looking at/considering here? Does anyone have any input as to what a ballpark estimate is to swap in a used transmission...or is an overhaul the way to go? I just want to be somewhat educated before dealing w/ a mechanic, and to also begin to brace for wat I'm in for $ wise.

-THE most trusted mechanic is an hour away (highly recommended guy, I've used the shop in the past.) It seems to drive OK in upper gears...does it sound as though it may be relatively stable on the interstate and then (staying in 5th) make it as long as I shift as little as possible? I'm not afraid of an adventure, but also don't want to risk further damage and cost to other parts of the car.

Sorry to go long folks, please understand I'm a bit freaked and trying to assess next moves here. Any input is HUGELY appreciated. I have to go out for the eve but wi;ll check this board very late tonight/tomorrow morning...

Thanks!!!

Eric in C'ville, VA

EricV
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Pls also let me know what is the best source for remanufactured or used transmissions. I need to keep this economical. Thanks!

Eric

SnakeyesTx
05-04-2008, 01:01 AM
My guess is a trashed synchro or maybe some kinda shift fork bushing issue.... anyone else?

EricV
05-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I could avoid a trans replacement?

I want to prepare for worst case scenario, which is why I'm also asking for best advice on buying used or remanufactured, and from where.

Thanks!

Eric

SnakeyesTx
05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Worse case scenario is it actually broke into pieces and the pieces get thrown around bonding and getting chewed into other gears, but honestly, you won't know until you take that top cover off =/