PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID'n this Bimmer... In the E34 and 5-Series Zip Code... or Not...

IMSARS69
05-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Puhlezzzz... Help with ID'n this Bimmer... if it is a Bimmer... ';) best I can tell it's a E34 and likely 5-Series... but whadda I know... not much, so any guidance here would be appreciated... I realize info is somewhat limited but all I have to go on...

Limited Collector's Model... HAH! Really? Whadda ya'll think? Seriously...

3.6-liter engine... I'm thinking this might be in error and is really a 3.5L...

Two-door...

Leather interior...

Discontinued in 1989... Can't seem to make this jive up with above...

And last... your best opinion of this turkey considering 200K on the clock with say average info, docs, etc...

finalanarchy
05-03-2008, 01:08 AM
looks like an e24 6 series to me, are we going by the pictures or the information?

Paul in NZ
05-03-2008, 01:12 AM
yep e 24 635ia from what i can see from the pics...

IMSARS69
05-03-2008, 01:26 AM
looks like an e24 6 series to me, are we going by the pictures or the information?
Well... in a perfect world we'd be able to marry them... but the picture, as limited as it's detail may be is presumably real... the info provided by who knows, is... well... provided by who knows...

Do the best ya can... I realize we ain't going on much...

My approach was to try to match up the 3.6 with 2 doors and last production date of '89... can't seem to find any such animal...

And before we go off on a foreign bent, I'm pretty sure it's US spec...

Oh yeah... don't forget the Limited Collector's Model... ';)

IMSARS69
05-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Which would make it a 'euro'... right...

shogun
05-03-2008, 02:49 AM
If you want to know the car details, post the VIN here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/
under
VIN special part VII- wanna know your VIN details?

3 of my friends in Germany with access to BMW ASAP will post the car details, date it was built, engine, and all the options the car was originally ordered.

Best E24 forum is here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e24/

leicesterboy15
05-03-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm confused, that is a 6 series. Its most likely a US Spec as it has the US rubber bumpers.

Not sure what the problem is or am I missing something? See here:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0401ec_bmw_e24_6_series/index.html

As for 200k miles it all comes down to how well its been maintained. 200k on the trusty m30 motor shouldn't be a problem if looked after properly.

shogun
05-03-2008, 07:30 AM
yes, of course it is a E24 six series
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html
But nevertheless, if he posts the VIN on that link on Bimmerboard E32 forum, they will find out the car details/options etc for him, any BMW is o.k. for my friends, they have access to that.

IMSARS69
05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks to all for your input...

Have found only sketchy refs to an 'ai'... mostly implying non-USA and quite possibly a 'gray market' car...

Now for what I've found using some of the suggested sources...

If the engine is indeed a 3.6 L then...

According to Burns at:

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html

The engine is an S38 late - 88-91

and hence at:

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e24.html

shows it to be an M34 M5...

FWIW it also shows that if it's designated S38 early, it's a 3.5 L, which were in E28 M5, M6.... further to confuse the issue the Notes show 24 valve M30... elsewhere it shows that 3.5 L were also designated M30 (big six) they were in '88-'93 535i,635i,735i...

As an aside, another source shows that an E34 M5 used an evolution of the 24-valve I6 found in the E28 M5 and E24 M635CSi/M6. Designated S38B36, the engine technically remains a 3.5 L, however represented as a 3.6 L and was produced '88-'93 (USA - or '95 depending on how you read specs)...

I think I got all that right... is it confusing 'nuff... I thought so...

Comments?

Paul in NZ
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
its just a normal 635ia,ie an auto 635,the auto box rules out the use of the s38 as these cars were manual only,unless of course its had an 2 s38 added.A nice example of this car would be considered by some as a "collectors car"

Sixdown
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Certainly a 635ia ("a" is for automatic and the badges never has the "a")
It has the 3.5l M30 engine. I mean, it could also be an L6 (Luxury) with the phone and leather trim, but the engine is still the same and it certainly is a US spec car.

I'm also going to guess that it's an earlier 635i model.

IMSARS69
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
its just a normal 635ia,ie an auto 635,the auto box rules out the use of the s38 as these cars were manual only,unless of course its had an 2 s38 added.A nice example of this car would be considered by some as a "collectors car"
But presuming it's a 3.6 L as stated, how do we explain Burns chart which shows that specific engine is only Designated S38 Late and only comes in a E34 M5...

Of course the chart is subject to being wrong as is the stated engine size...

Also curious about the 'a' in 'ia'... haven't seen any sources that indicates that it stands for 'automatic', or I missed it if they did... is it just 'commonly used' terminology...

I've become aware it is uncommon to find a E34 M5... hence my curiosity has gotten piqued...

Trying to get additional info... FWIW I have a gut feelijng that this unit has a 5-spd... OCTJMO... ICBW... ;)

Again thanks for your and everyones input...\

Ain't through yet however... wish some more info would come in...

IMSARS69
05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Certainly a 635ia ("a" is for automatic and the badges never has the "a")
It has the 3.5l M30 engine. I mean, it could also be an L6 (Luxury) with the phone and leather trim, but the engine is still the same and it certainly is a US spec car.

I'm also going to guess that it's an earlier 635i model.
I took a harder look at the interior pic and it appears that there is an auto shifter, but you folks could tell better than I... I just couldn't make it out before... monitor B or C perhaps...

In any case it seems that the 3.6 L claim is likely incorrect...

So... an that's the way it goes...

On a slightly different topic...

Compare maintaining a 3 Series vs a 5 or 6 Series as a track car... how they hold up to some abuse... and relative cost of brakes, tires and wheels mostly... and anything else one should consider...

Was definitely going for a 325is, but got sidetracked when I ran across several 5 and 6's within my budget (don't ask...) and learned that they possibly had enough more speed to consider...

FWIW I do not compete in any trophy hound events and don't give a rat's arse about 'out running' anybody 'officially'... I get plenty hoots outta showing some ah them 100K Porsches, 'vettes, Audis, and yes even Bimmers that a $3500 POS box stock Miata can hang with they arses in the right turns... ';)

Thanks again for your help and patience...

Paul in NZ
05-05-2008, 03:55 AM
A 3 series will make a more satisfactory track car than a 5 or 6 series.The 5 and 6 series are much bigger heavier cars than a 3 series.
And the car in the pic is most definetly a 1989 or thereabouts automatic 635.It would have been one of the later 6 series made,as you stated it was discontinued soon after.The 3.6 claim is wrong.The e 24 might have had the M88 engine in M6 or 635 csi(depends on the market),but as i stated earlier if it had this engine it would not have an auto transmission(as it left the factory anyway)

Ross
05-05-2008, 07:38 AM
My guess is it's a 633i and the seller has confused the model number to mean 3.6 somehow.
The L6 was badged L6 in the U.S.

IMSARS69
05-05-2008, 11:13 PM
A 3 series will make a more satisfactory track car than a 5 or 6 series.The 5 and 6 series are much bigger heavier cars than a 3 series.
I thought that was the route to take... was my original intent, but didn't really know enough about the 5 & 6s to be sure, hence the investigation, which included other units FS but this one being an 'unknown' and if as stated would seem to have promise I choose to find out more about it and this has been a very informative thread...

However, from ya'lls responses and other stuff I've since picked up, I think I'll stick to the original 325i or is plan...

Have a '87 325is in mind that I believe to be good candidate and if I get time will post questions about it on the appropriate forum...

I'd appreciate anyone here that has any comments, suggestions, etc to pass on...

TIA...

IMSARS69