PDA

View Full Version : 94 525 after head repair car will not start

lippshitts
05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
i have a 1994 bmw 525 . i bought it knowing it needed head work . i replaced the head gasket put it back together it ran but could tell it was still leaking. pulled head again head was cracked had it welded and rebuilt . put car back together it will not start . the timming marks were lined up # 1 cylinder up . how do i know where to put cam shaft as far as timing goes. i think they are the same as when i pulled them . also when i put the head on the 2ed time i pinched the crank position sensor alittle . the wire looks shielded and that is the part of the wire i pinched the shield and the outer plastic not the main wire so taped it up and went on . does any one have any suggestions?

thanks pat

Dave M
05-02-2008, 06:17 PM
M50, non-vanos below. Cams in are set properly. Cylinder 1 up and toward each other, the tops of the 'squares' at the end of the camshafts (you can kinda see the 'squesres' in the second photo) must be as level with the top of the cylinder head casting as possible. You can use a straight edge if you don't have the special tool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Block_Swap/Engine_3004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Block_Swap/Engine_2013.jpg

No suggestions for the CPS wire. It will let you know if its buggered.

yaofeng
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Yours has VANOS but the cam shaft orientations are the same. You may have to rotate the intake cam slightly when you fit the VANOS unit but that's okay.

At this point you should do a compression test first to make sure you did not accidently disturbed timing and bent the valves.

lippshitts
05-03-2008, 10:30 AM
i turned the motor by hand befor using the starter . is there still a chance i did some damage . would there be added force or a noise if i did some damage?

later pat

whiskychaser
05-03-2008, 11:28 AM
i turned the motor by hand befor using the starter . is there still a chance i did some damage . would there be added force or a noise if i did some damage?

later pat
If you turned the motor by hand with the plugs out I think you would have felt resistance if pistons and valves were coming together. But there will actually be less resistance if you have got bent valves now-you wont have any compression. As stated already, a compression test will soon tell you. Hopefully all is OK. But if it isnt, and you want to take the cams out, dont just unbolt the caps or the cams will snap like a carrot

Ferret
05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
dont just unbolt the caps or the cams will snap like a carrot

Who on earth would think about doing something like that?

>.>

<.<

I didn't have any choice yer honour... and it ran afterwards too!

lippshitts
05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
i had time to mess with my 525 again found that i dont have any spark . is there a way to check crank position sensor . and could that be the problem .

thanks pat

Dave M
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
i had time to mess with my 525 again found that i dont have any spark . is there a way to check crank position sensor . and could that be the problem .

thanks pat

Yes, you can check it with a multimeter. Specs are in the bentley.

Also, make sure the camshaft position sensor "tag", which sits behind the intake chain pully and triggers the sensor, is on the right way up. Ask me how I know ;)

Dave

lippshitts
05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
i changed the crank position sensor and the car starts but it runs rough will not idle. can keep running with foot on gas . please help .

Ferret
05-17-2008, 12:12 PM
i changed the crank position sensor and the car starts but it runs rough will not idle. can keep running with foot on gas . please help .

That sounds like your timing is out or you've got a massive vaccuum leak, check for leaks , turn the engine to TDC and then make sure the square lobes at the back of the cams are parallel

whiskychaser
05-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Possible vacuum leak on inlet side- did you use new manifold gaskets? Check all inlet hoses connected and secure including the fiddly little one that goes to the fuel pressure reg. The idle control valve sits just under the manifold -make sure the electrical connection has not been disturbed. If you want to check if the ICV is OK, resistance between either outer pin and centre pin is 20 ohms and between two outers is 40 ohms. HTH