PDA

View Full Version : Why the E34 *rant

BMWDriver
04-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Edit: Blasted clock ! I didn't start this thread !

I get about 8.4L/100kms driving at 105-115 km/h with my 2.5 M50 engine. It's possible your engine needs tuning up, but I wonder if the engine is too small and less efficient compared to the weight of the e34. A big 3.5 or 3.8 engine will work less hard to keep it at high speed and for acceleration because it delivers good torque at low engine revolutions. Lower revs means a bit less fuel per minute, but not always.

Engines are sometimes badly designed and smaller engines have been known in some cases to be less economical than the bigger one offered on the same model. Sometimes it's also just a marketing ploy: quickly make an economical engine, or throw one in there that won't be as great because there is a demand: there's a fuel crisis (ring a bell ?).

I'm no real expert on the matter, but the fact remains that the e34 is a heavy car compared to other similar sedans that would do well with a small engine. It is a luxury car after all.

Why keep it ?

Well, it's solid, very intelligently designed and a pleasure to maintain. This site is a true treasure in helping take care of it. Every little detail has been well looked into. It's sporty if you want it to be, it's elegant and tame if you prefer... And its plain gorgeous. But it sure ain't perfect.

Mordan
04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi, I'm new here. The E34 is the first car I have ever owned. It has been a month now.
I love the car. Why this car? Because I believe the E34 is the last true BMW chassis. I like the chromed 4 head lights completely separated and the straight butt. The analog fuel consumption metering gauge kicks ass. It tremendously helps you to learn to get most of your engine. IMO Digital is cheap and is processed slower by the human brain.
My E34 doesn't have an Airbag which means more room and less hassle to remove the drive wheel. The 1.8L M40 is a bare minimum for the E34 chassis but I get to pay less taxes and less insurance.

reason why I want to keep it.

my only complaint is I tanked for 120 euros (180 dollars) and drove 700 kms with it... it is kinda expensive here in Europe, and I haven't talked about the taxes if you own a M5. I thought the small M40 engine would consume less. but it seems I was wrong.

so tell me. why the E34 and not another car?

Sixdown
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I find the E38 to be the last classic BMW design. It has similar features to the E34 and the square-ish design. Even the headlights are rounded, but covered in plastic.

I love my E34 and would still choose it over an E38.

t.wak
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Can't imagine driving an E34 with an M40 in it to be quite a rewarding experience! :)

Ken35i
04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I wanted somthing better than some crummy Holden or Ford and I don't fit in most Jap cars.

I wanted something old, since my first car was and old car and was just so easy to work on and a manual gearbox (I loath auto's). So with the Australian cars and Japanese cars out of the equation I looked at Euro's. I though "yeah, Euro's are big, classy...but easy to work on? Don't know. So I set a budget of around $10,000. Discovered I could afford a car from the 80's, wow alot of Euro cars looked good in the 80's compared to others.

Looked at Benz's...BAH all auto's. VW, aah the decent ones are too expencive. Audi's were auto's too. BMW? Hey onto somthing here. E28 535i manual...looks good, I'll check it out. It cost about $8,000 I think (don't remember exactly, but it's a good price for one in good condition). But oh noes, didn't fit. Not enough leg room :(

I looked at the next generation 5 series, E34. Hmm, getting abit to "new" for me, purhaps. It was a much bigger car. Still looked classic at leased (the head lights and the square-ish shape). There were a few manuals for sale our there, mostly 535i again, and still around the $10,000 budget. Great!

So I sat in one. Wow this is big enough and then some. So I bought one and I was happy :)

About analogue dials, they are much better than a digital read-out. If your speed-o was a digital read-out you would have to stare at it for a split second and think about it. With analogue you don't need to stare at it, you could have it just off focus and have a good idea what speed your doing.

Go to any refinery or power station, all the read-outs will be analogue. No use having a read-out saying "100 psi". Is that good or bad? Don't know. Need a scale to see it against.

1.8 litre in a 5 series? That little engine in a big heavy car? I'd think that would counter productive. To get that car moving you'd need a bit more acceleration, hence fuel.
Anyway, though it share. Great thread :)

Bo525i
04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
E34 is... timeless!

healtoeit
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I love the car.

If that is true then you would not ask

why the E34 and not another car?

Anyway, do the simple math 1.8 liter engine, 3600lbs car.... Doesn't work out to a great thing. If it is acceleration you seek get the 540i. You say you like the low cost of insurance, and the gas mileage. Your gas tank is the same one as mine or the 540i so, yea it will cost a lot to fill her up. As soon as you drive another car, even newer BMWs, you will realize it has almost no soul compared to the e34. Stick through it and you will not regret it.

Ferret
05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
If that is true then you would not ask

Anyway, do the simple math 1.8 liter engine, 3600lbs car.... Doesn't work out to a great thing. If it is acceleration you seek get the 540i. You say you like the low cost of insurance, and the gas mileage. Your gas tank is the same one as mine or the 540i so, yea it will cost a lot to fill her up. As soon as you drive another car, even newer BMWs, you will realize it has almost no soul compared to the e34. Stick through it and you will not regret it.

The 1.8 isnt even that slow when you look at the stats - it's quicker than 50% of the european cars on the road!

healtoeit
05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
The 1.8 isnt even that slow when you look at the stats - it's quicker than 50% of the european cars on the road!
true, but its no M50 and is sure as hell is not a M60

Just throw a turbo on it (with six fins) and run some boost, 30psi sounds good and you will be fine

GJPinAU
05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
You have nothing else to look forward to, except maybe upgrade to a 525, then a 535 or maybe 540 and then there is the M5 or you could go for a diesel transplant.

Don't buy any more car magazines, there's nothing of interest in them for you.

525i winter driver
05-02-2008, 06:31 AM
so tell me. why the E34 and not another car?
the friendly online community that helps me fix it

oh yeah, and my hardcase fits

Mordan
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM

yes the engine is fine. It holds its ground. It ain't a rocket but drives better than most entry level cars.

funny thing in 4th gear on a twisty road I consume only 9-10l/100 in high revs. as soon as I go down in revs, things tend to deteriorate fuel wise. looks like more revs don't consume fuel on this 1.8L. However as soon as the road goes up, fuel goes like 15-20L/100.

anyways for 1300 euros, it is quite an enjoyable ride compared to the previous cars I drove.

I don't think Europe got 540i. did we? so even if I wanted to buy one...

genphreak
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
the friendly online community that helps me fix it

oh yeah, and my hardcase fitsYea... and the ****ers can't steal it either... I've seen what happened when someone wanted to get into an e34 trunk really badly. (much mess, lots of sweat, time and noise they would have made). And with your valet key you can even trust a car park attendant (enough).... LOL!

Mordan
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
You have nothing else to look forward to, except maybe upgrade to a 525, then a 535 or maybe 540 and then there is the M5 or you could go for a diesel transplant.

Don't buy any more car magazines, there's nothing of interest in them for you.

I never bought car magazines lol. btw We have lots of 520 and diesel here in Belgium. Just that the 518is are dirt cheap :)

M5 here in Belgium? The problem here in this country of slaves are taxes and fuel costs. Would you buy a decent M5 at 5k? Or a great M5 in excellent condition for 8k?
Would you want to pay 2500 euros each year (car tax) and 10 000 euros of fuel (of which 80% is tax money) ?

I could emigrate too.

Mordan
05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I find the E38 to be the last classic BMW design. It has similar features to the E34 and the square-ish design. Even the headlights are rounded, but covered in plastic.

I love my E34 and would still choose it over an E38.

yea the E38 is an OK BMW IMO. but the plastic cover was however the start of an horrible trend. They should have kept the E34/E32 strong points and improve them.
The popular e36 is the reason of this downfall. When I first saw an e36 when I was a teen, I wanted to cry.

Sixdown
05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
The M50 has a plastic cover and it was produced from '89 to '94...
This is why I like my M30. Easy to work on, lots of room, great power, great fun. I don't like the E36, and never will.

repenttokyo
05-02-2008, 11:34 AM

that's like winning a medal at the special olympics :p

525i winter driver
05-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Yea... and the ****ers can't steal it either... I've seen what happened when someone wanted to get into an e34 trunk really badly. (much mess, lots of sweat, time and noise they would have made). And with your valet key you can even trust a car park attendant (enough).... LOL!
i know of two people who have had their cellos stolen from a station wagon, never to see them again. probably ended up as firewood once the crook realized it wasn't a fender or gibson and realized there was nowhere to sell it. :(

actually - i can fit a cello, 2 violins, a viola, 4 music stands, and various personal effects in the trunk. played a wedding last summer, the groom was totally checking out my car as the couple drove away in a new mercedes.:D

Qube
05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
The truth has already been said...
Anyway, do the simple math 1.8 liter engine, 3600lbs car. Flat road? Sure. Any type of incline? It'll struggle to get that brute upwards.

e34.535i.sport
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
1. Look at it.
2. The performance - m30 can be awesome.
3. I can fix it myself.
4. LOOK AT IT!!!!

Paul in NZ
05-03-2008, 12:15 AM
yea the E38 is an OK BMW IMO. but the plastic cover was however the start of an horrible trend. They should have kept the E34/E32 strong points and improve them.
The popular e36 is the reason of this downfall. When I first saw an e36 when I was a teen, I wanted to cry.
amen bro,i think the E36 is UGLY
even the M30 suffers from the incline....i went to the tip(dump landfiill) the other day,and on the weigh bridge was 1870 kg in 1700 kg out,I weigh 95 kg,car is a 535 manual with just about all options and aprrox 20 litres of fuel....1605 kg going uphill the guzzle o meter goes of the end....

leicesterboy15
05-03-2008, 05:58 AM
I am always surprised at how well my old e34 fares against much more modern machinery both in terms of driver appeal and build quality, theres hardly a rattle in mine, was in my friends 1996 MX5 the other day with half the mileage, its nice to drive but there is no interior to speak of and its rattly as fcuk. I love the way the e34s look and go, and they don't break the bank, simple!

As for the 518i, they were the only 4 pot available and didn't they bring it out to come under the engine capacity and price for the lower company car tax bands in Europe? The engine is quite spirited considering the weight of the car but most of them have been thrashed by now as they do need to be worked hard and with most of them being company cars originally they seem to have higher mileages.

BTW they did do a 540i in Europe cos I've got one :)