PDA

View Full Version : engine options

Scott C
04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
What is wrong with the driveline - have you considered rebuild? These things are good for a lot of miles....

Scott

cabby
04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi from a newbie..with a problem.My 94,2.5 tourer auto is now showing her age,im trying to source a low mileage E34 secondhand engine and box ...not easy..so the question is, can i fit a 2.5 or poss 2.0 from something newer with lower mileage.
Sorry if the question seems dumb
THANKS

Omega
04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Thats a hell of a lot of work just for a hesitating trans.....

Have you checked the trans oil level? Had it serviced with new filters? Even a full auto rebuild will be cheaper/easier than changing the powertrain.

cabby
04-30-2008, 02:56 AM
What is wrong with the driveline - have you considered rebuild? These things are good for a lot of miles....

Scott
The problem with the g/box is that it slips/hesitates when going from 2nd to 3rd,lifting my foot off the gas just before it changes seems to help,everything else is fine.
Cabby

Scott C
04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I would strongly suggest you stick with your engine and either fix the gearbox yourself - there is a LOT of info here if you search, or go to a trusted mechanic (hard to find). Even if you have experience swapping out engines, this one is likely to be a challenge due to ECU, etc.

attack eagle
05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Thats a hell of a lot of work just for a hesitating trans.....

Have you checked the trans oil level? Had it serviced with new filters? Even a full auto rebuild will be cheaper/easier than changing the powertrain.
It cheaper to swap to manual than rebuild the 4l30e...
but there is no reason to swap engines until the engine fails.