PDA

View Full Version : ds wiper...

repenttokyo
04-29-2008, 06:29 AM
my 1991 has the normal arm.

shanek
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I picked up a used arm from a 94 530I for $30 or $40 and just bolted it on. It took about 5 minutes. I did it a couple years ago, so I don't remember specifics but it was super easy. I have tried a couple different "hingeless wipers" and I like the Michelin Radius wipers the best. I buy them from Costco when ever they have a $2 off coupon. They're like $9 each.

525i winter driver
04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
gee, do i really have to weld this? http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/349957/

i want to change my wipers.
someone mentioned in another thread that later e34s have a 'normal' u on the ds. (who woke up one day and thought of that brilliant idea?)
but when i look on realoem the wiper on a 94 is the same as on my earlier model.
anyone ever try using a p/s arm?

WVe28
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I dealt with that problem for 2 weeks on my car. I finally bit the bullet and dropped $50 on a new DS wiper. I'd be interested to know what others have done, though. I figure if you find one from a later e34 that's "normal," you can probably replace the whole arm. I know for a fact that not all e34s have this inverted "u" design.

525i winter driver
04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I dealt with that problem for 2 weeks on my car. I finally bit the bullet and dropped $50 on a new DS wiper. I'd be interested to know what others have done, though. I figure if you find one from a later e34 that's "normal," you can probably replace the whole arm. I know for a fact that not all e34s have this inverted "u" design.
thanks - i'd love to hear from those with the 'normal' arm. not so much about the money (this time for once), i'd like to put smaller blades on (i want to use the reflex wipers as has been suggested by other northerners). smaller blades put a lot less stress on the motor and assembly in harsh winters - just going with 21" but even that will make a difference i think. guess i'll get someone to weld if there's no other choice, but....

how about part #4 - the 'adapter' - anyone use that?

Matt P
04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I recently had the Wiper arm on my 535i converted to the later "normal" style. Evidently it was pretty simple to do. It ran me about $250 installed, but that was at the Dealer (the car was in for some other work at the same time), so I wouldn't be surprised if it ran $100 or so total for parts if you do it yourself. Given the $50+ cost of the fancy wiper blades, it could pay for itself quickly.