PDA

View Full Version : ATE 141ff pads suck for my street use on '89 525.

Dr. evil
04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
ive been useing PBR Metal maters for a while, overall not bad for the price minimal dust, no squeeking. i think PBR makes ceramics pad too, they should be a good upgrade

Gene in NC
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
ATE 141ff pads from PO suck for my street driving. No idea how the 141 ff code on pads relates to pad description/name, but don't really care. Just want em off the car. Heavy front rotor wear and disgustingly dirty. 22k miles with light use. Must be ATE oem style rotors.

Saw front brakes for first time during front strut replacement at 187k. Tips of ABS sensors were covered with iron filings. **Is this typical?**

----------------------------------------------------
ABS sensors in car below were clean in recent strut replacement at maybe 5k on new Pagid pads.

This second '89 525 has 100k on ATE rotors used with with Metal Master pads. Kept rotors when pads recently replaced. This is wifey's car owned since 30k. No front end wrecks or braking problems. Recall what seemed like one "over long" emergency stop in heavy traffic from about 45mph but attributed that to ABS.

**What pads do you use/recommend for street use?**

Ross
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
141 is probably the pad shape #. Compounds are printed on the side of the friction material as I recall. The OE type pads are horrifically dusty, nature of the beast. BMW considers the rotors sacrificial and to be changed with the pads.
Filings on the sensors are normal as they are magnetic and particles from the pad and rotor wear are always flying around.
Metal master are good for street with less dust.

healtoeit
04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
**What pads do you use/recommend for street use?**
I run EBC pads and rotors, I use EBC red stuff for street/track use. The green stuff is great for street use only. Great bite from cold. The red stuff needs a few stops to get warm then they stop on a dime.