PDA

View Full Version : 2000 540i Clutch engagement point

yaofeng
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
As far as I know there is no adjustment on the clutch pedal.

healtoeit
04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok, clutch works and engages fine, but the engagement is about half an in. off the floor when you start to let the clutch up. This is way to early to be able to shift smoothly. With such a heavy clutch it would be nice to have some room to modulate the pedal.
Anyone know if it is adjustable? Anyone know how to adjust it? Bentley manual is coming up with nothing.

healtoeit
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
As far as I know there is no adjustment on the clutch pedal.
I'm not talking about the throw, I'm trying to adjust the point at which you feel the clutch start to engage.

bubba966
04-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Swap out the CDV for one that's "fixed" and that'll probably take care of your problem.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

healtoeit
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Swap out the CDV for one that's "fixed" and that'll probably take care of your problem.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Heh, did that about three years ago... any suggestions?

bubba966
04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Heh, did that about three years ago... any suggestions?

Sounded like a possible CDV issue to me. But as you've already fixed that problem I don't know what else to tell you.

Might want to head over to the E39 section of the m5board and see what they say. They'd know E39 6 speed trannies much better than I...

healtoeit
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Might want to head over to the E39 section of the m5board and see what they say. They'd know E39 6 speed trannies much better than I...
Thanks man i'll try it. Usually i can get an answer about anything on this forum, but I guess it is no joy with this one!

bimmerd00d
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
You need to check if your slave cylinder is actually engaging (or disengaging?) 100% I had this problem way back when on my '98 540i. Replaced the slave cyl and removed CDV and all was well.

bubba966
04-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks man i'll try it. Usually i can get an answer about anything on this forum, but I guess it is no joy with this one!

I think the 6 speed in the Euro E34 M5 might be the same one that you've got in your E39. If it is, I know that there's people on the E34 section of the M5board that can give you an answer or at least point you in the right direction. Lots of good tech info guys on the E34 section there.

healtoeit
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
You need to check if your slave cylinder is actually engaging (or disengaging?) 100% I had this problem way back when on my '98 540i. Replaced the slave cyl and removed CDV and all was well.
Thankx for the info! Will replace and let you know how it works out!

h2oyo
05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Ok, clutch works and engages fine, but the engagement is about half an in. off the floor when you start to let the clutch up. This is way to early to be able to shift smoothly. With such a heavy clutch it would be nice to have some room to modulate the pedal.
Anyone know if it is adjustable? Anyone know how to adjust it? Bentley manual is coming up with nothing.

Hello,
I'm probably not the one to talk about this so much, but I did just finish a auto to manual swap on my 95 540i. If you replaced the master cylinder there is a eccentric (spelling) with a dot on it. The dot needs to be either facing the master cylinder or 90 degrees away from it. The book says it shouldnt be anywhere in between. It sounds like it makes the action of the pedal different. You may want to try or check that.
Johan