PDA

View Full Version : I saw a 645Ci on the way home tonight....

Brian C.
05-24-2004, 08:33 PM
....and after the initial shock of seeing a larger, 2 door convertable Bimmer wore off, my reaction was..........ehh. Very vanilla looking. It was a light silver metalic with the white ragtop down. I passed it and then I pulled to the right lane and let it pass me so I could get a good look. The most descriptive thing I can say is that it was rather non-descript. Kind of a InfiNexussota hybrid. (...get ready with the rimshot here...) Looking at it from the rear could only make me feel that Ben Afflick will be very familiar with it's trunk.(ba-dum-bump!) :p A real package shelf for the trunk lid.

Of course with all that being said, if any vehicle testing magazines out there are looking to let a non-biasist driver have one for a few months, I'm only an e-mail away. :D I'm sure that it is a technological marvel. It's like 345hp as I recall. It will need time to work the kinks out, but I bet I'll be seeing a lot of them on the roads down here.

I think the hardtop will really show off the design lines better than the convertable though. It seems that most convertables in the past few years are all much fuglier than their hard headed brothers. Have you noticed that? The M3s are pretty sweet, but the Lexus, the Bugs, the RX8s and even the PT Cruisers are all kinda rough with hats on. IMHO of course. ;)

Anyone else see them on the road yet??

Brian C.

G Feller
05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I saw one (silver with the black top up) while with my wife a week ago. I was incredibly underwhelmed; apparently the 65+-yr-old guy driving it while out with his wife wins the award for worst-set-up new 6 series.

I still think it will be a different matter with a hardtop Sport in the right color with the right wheels, but I also think that when I can afford one of these, I will be thinking long and hard about my real "needs" as I compare it to a used SL 500 (does anyone think the SL500 is not flat out gorgeous?). But alas, no real manual tranny there.

Anyway, BMW must have got hold of my wife's purchasing records around the same time I sent in my "I'm interested in the new 6 Series" postcard, because I just got a really impressive portfolio with expensively-produced photos and vellum overlays. Anybody else get this? I'm sorry to say the only computer I have is at work, where it is extremely unlikely I'll be able to scan it and upload. But there is utterly no comparison to the old 6. Seriously - I have yet to see a single piece of convincing rhetoric to the contrary. Oh, OK, it has two doors and is built in Germany.

It really may be a tough call between a pristine E24 and a used 645--for about the same price--in 5 years or so. Does anyone know how well 6'3", 210 fits in an E24? OK, how about an E30? I have also started to have a real thing for a nice E30is.

But I digress. It's safe enough to say these are not the glory days for BMW design. I still look forward to driving the damn things.

a larger, 2 door convertable Bimmer wore off, my reaction was..........ehh. Very vanilla looking. It was a light silver metalic with the white ragtop down. I passed it and then I pulled to the right lane and let it pass me so I could get a good look. The most descriptive thing I can say is that it was rather non-descript. Kind of a InfiNexussota hybrid. (...get ready with the rimshot here...) Looking at it from the rear could only make me feel that Ben Afflick will be very familiar with it's trunk.(ba-dum-bump!) :p A real package shelf for the trunk lid.

Of course with all that being said, if any vehicle testing magazines out there are looking to let a non-biasist driver have one for a few months, I'm only an e-mail away. :D I'm sure that it is a technological marvel. It's like 345hp as I recall. It will need time to work the kinks out, but I bet I'll be seeing a lot of them on the roads down here.

I think the hardtop will really show off the design lines better than the convertable though. It seems that most convertables in the past few years are all much fuglier than their hard headed brothers. Have you noticed that? The M3s are pretty sweet, but the Lexus, the Bugs, the RX8s and even the PT Cruisers are all kinda rough with hats on. IMHO of course. ;)

Anyone else see them on the road yet??

Brian C.

Brian C.
05-24-2004, 09:46 PM
.....at the dentist's office the other day and saw this:

Iowa's 50 Greatest Athletes (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/features/si50/states/iowa/greatest/)

And as I recall, Dan Gable was rather awesome in his day, but having a #2 in the family tree ain't too bad either. I have to say that I don't recognize most any of the other names myself. Most seem to have been great regional collegiate types....I bet Dick Schneiders knows of a few of them.

But you're correct. You can't beat the SL500 with a stick for being one beautiful car. I see quite a few of them and the SL55 AMGs cruising the "better neighborhoods" here. But for that price, they BETTER look great! Even better with a blonde behind the wheel! :D :D :D

Brian C.