PDA

View Full Version : Make my own cooling system pump?

Ken35i
04-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi guys,

I swore I've seen a DIY on how to make a cooling system pump. ie pumping the cooling sytem to operating pressure (2 bar?) to test for leaks. Couldn't find it. I have a spare expansion tank cap I could use.
Does someone have the link or post a DIY here?
Will be most apprieciated! :)

Ross
04-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Just use a schrader valve and a bicycle pump.

Paul in NZ
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
what drugs are you on? aren't we like 25 - 30 years behind you guys? there is no renting of tools for a deposit, never ever :D
same here..:(
but i also vote for some kind of air pressure

ryan roopnarine
04-25-2008, 11:37 AM
if there are autoparts stores in australia that rent you tools for free before deposit they should have one. i think that autozone in the US finally got a bmw cap, australia shouldn't have a problem with keeping a euro tester fitting around i would think.

BigKriss
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
what drugs are you on? aren't we like 25 - 30 years behind you guys? there is no renting of tools for a deposit, never ever :D

if there are autoparts stores in australia that rent you tools for free before deposit they should have one. i think that autozone in the US finally got a bmw cap, australia shouldn't have a problem with keeping a euro tester fitting around i would think.

bill g
04-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Big Kriss I cannot let you get away with that!
This is no help to anyone now but it could be we are 25 years ahead.
In Melbourne we had a specialized automotive tool rental place operating from the 1960s or earlier right up to some time in the 1990s when it closed down, never to resurface. It was in Cheltenham, not far from me (yeah - how lucky). You could take the tools home to use or use them in their workshop, which had a hoist and useful stuff like hydraulic press, steam cleaner, etc.

Bill G Melbourne Aus

ryan roopnarine
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM

it is like an arms race among autoparts stores here. one will offer a set of tools, then the next will improve on it or offer deluxe kits or let you use their wrenches and whatnot so long as you don't leave their parking lot.

here's an example of autozone
http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/air_conditioning/air_conditioning.htm

their competitor offers basically all of the tools needed to do thrust arms or replace a steering box for a $100 refundable rental.

if the autozone is in a non-ghetto area, they will even have a vacuum pump and r134 gauges for rent. the guy told me that to rent the two it would be about $301 USD, refundable when I returned it in working condition. i assumed that you guys had the same.

Ken35i
04-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Big Kriss I cannot let you get away with that!
This is no help to anyone now but it could be we are 25 years ahead.
In Melbourne we had a specialized automotive tool rental place operating from the 1960s or earlier right up to some time in the 1990s when it closed down, never to resurface. It was in Cheltenham, not far from me (yeah - how lucky). You could take the tools home to use or use them in their workshop, which had a hoist and useful stuff like hydraulic press, steam cleaner, etc.

Bill G Melbourne Aus

No kidding? I used to live down there...though I was a young lad back in 1990.

Well anyway, thanks for the help guys. ;) I have seen one with a bike pump. But I don't know how it was made and the BMW cap is very different to the older style radiator cap.

shogun
04-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Unfortunately we also do not have rent-a tool in Japan, that is why I have to buy all these tools which I might need once every 5 years such a beer can puller.
I wish I had such store here in Japan or like in Germany the DIY rental places where one can rent the tools, the lifts, even paint cabins, and a master mechanic is also for rent when you might get stuck with your work.

Here pics from Germany of such a ship for DIY
http://www.schrauber-werkstatt.de/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,40/