PDA

View Full Version : brake lining warning!

yaofeng
04-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Pull the sensor connector. Short it (the car side, not the sensor side) with a piece of hard wire. See if the symptom occurs.

bmwrp8
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
whatsup guys!:D been a long time since i last posted:D i Just change my brake pads front and rear with the brake wear sensor but now still im having brake lining in the OBC. this is what i noticed when i turn my wheel in full lock to the right all is normal but when i put it in center or turn it to the left *bing* brake lining! i change the front sensor for the 2nd time still the same. I visually checked everything, it looks normal and nothing is broken or out of place. any idea guys thanks

Ken35i
04-24-2008, 12:10 AM
There's a rear brake pad sensor isn't there? Change that?

bmwrp8
04-24-2008, 12:13 AM
There's a rear brake pad sensor isn't there? Change that?

yup i did. it's the front thats having problems when i turn the wheel full lock on the right no brake lining msg. in the obc

yaofeng
04-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Why did BMW decide to put sensors on just the left front and right rear brakes? Why not all four?

JD

Why double the trouble?

whiskychaser
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
yup i did. it's the front thats having problems when i turn the wheel full lock on the right no brake lining msg. in the obc
Check round the back of the lead where is runs past the strut. Mine had worn through - any more and the circuit would have been cut. Result: brake lining warning. Would account for the 'now you see me, now you dont' warning

JD525IA
04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
I took my car to the self-serve wash Friday and blasted my wheels to get the brake dust off and to remove some bugs that had overstayed their welcome.

When I started off again and got about 5 miles down the road, I got the Brake Linings message. The brake pads aren't that old. This weekend I'm going to give it a peek, but I bet I find a wire broken or something like that.

Why did BMW decide to put sensors on just the left front and right rear brakes? Why not all four?

JD

Triton540i
04-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I had a problem with the warning coming on too, then I realized that there is a connector in the passenger rear right by the place that you would place a jack stand. I noticed it was loose, so I unplugged it, made sure it was clean and plugged it back in again, that fixed my problem with the sensor entirely! :)

I would figure that all you need is one sensor in the rear and one in the front, if your brakes are working right, both the left and right sides of the car will wear evenly and there is no need for a secondary sensor in that area.

Good luck, hope this helps!

bmwrp8
04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Check round the back of the lead where is runs past the strut. Mine had worn through - any more and the circuit would have been cut. Result: brake lining warning. Would account for the 'now you see me, now you dont' warning

found the problem! when i had my suspension serviced they left my brake assembly hanging with only a piece of wire to support it. the wire that connects to the sensor was stretched and probably cut inside. thanks for d reply guys

Ross
04-25-2008, 06:40 AM
"found the problem! when i had my suspension serviced they left my brake assembly hanging with only a piece of wire to support it. the wire that connects to the sensor was stretched and probably cut inside. thanks for d reply guys"
I suspect that piece of wire WAS your sensor wire

sneekens
04-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I took my car to the self-serve wash Friday and blasted my wheels to get the brake dust off and to remove some bugs that had overstayed their welcome.

When I started off again and got about 5 miles down the road, I got the Brake Linings message. The brake pads aren't that old. This weekend I'm going to give it a peek, but I bet I find a wire broken or something like that.

JD

as a general rule, both of your front brakes should wear at the same time. same with the rear... I would agree with this - "why double the trouble".. hehe

bmwrp8
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
hoy!sneekens! whatsup man! hmmm i see you got your alpina na hehehehe cool. i had my car fixed at zeecars and had them poly bushings only drawback is that darn brake lining msg. in the obc!

sneekens
04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
hoy!sneekens! whatsup man! hmmm i see you got your alpina na hehehehe cool. i had my car fixed at zeecars and had them poly bushings only drawback is that darn brake lining msg. in the obc!

rp8! wow poly bushings! for the rear? everything poly already??? i see you solved your brake lining issues! NICE!

bmwrp8
04-25-2008, 09:28 PM
rp8! wow poly bushings! for the rear? everything poly already??? i see you solved your brake lining issues! NICE!

i know where the problem is but i can't seem to fix it:(

bmwrp8
04-26-2008, 06:54 AM
"found the problem! when i had my suspension serviced they left my brake assembly hanging with only a piece of wire to support it. the wire that connects to the sensor was stretched and probably cut inside. thanks for d reply guys"
I suspect that piece of wire WAS your sensor wire

no, the wire where the sensor is connected.