PDA

View Full Version : Possessed windshield wipers

Ferret
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds like the electrical clutch is dying on the motor - it's the only reason the motor would stop half way through a cycle, other than the mechanism jamming. Pull the motor and plug it into a supply - see if it spins freely and then if it doesnt, pull the top cover and have a look at the clutch mechanism.

vuyodaddy
04-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey guys, long time no post, how ya been?

So, my e34's been giving me hell. It rains a whole lot here in Seattle, so it sucks that my windshield wipers have a mind of their own. Put it on the slowest setting and they get stuck mid wipe. Same if you just wanna wipe once. Put it on medium speed for enough time and they don't stop going. Leave it on medium speed for a long enough time and they freeze completely, leaving only the fast option. Leave it on fast and eventually they freeze too. Wait a while and it goes back to getting stuck mid wipe.

Picture going around on a sunny day with your wipers going on medium speed because you had to use your windshield washers that ended up making your wipers go on forever. And then your wipers getting stuck mid way right in front of your face while you're flying through traffic. So unsafe... so frustrating.

I feel like crying. Anyone know what the hell is going on? :(

shogun
04-23-2008, 12:07 AM
what about the speed indication? Is that also fluctuating? Then the speed sensor pick up is dirty or defective, which is installed on the back of the differential/final drive.

general info:
To make things easier for all of us:

Please also add as your signature your MODEL and MONTH and YEAR of PRODUCTION, so it will always be automatically shown. That makes it easier for us to look into the right wiring diagrams when you have a problem.

To get the exact month and year of production, use this VIN decoder
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi