PDA

View Full Version : Front End Issue

realness
04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I noticed this morning when I go over bumps in the road the car kind of pulls to the left. Is this a sign that I need new shocks/struts? (I am not sure if this car has shocks or struts) I replaced the upper and lower control arms and the sway bar links on both sides of the front end about a year and half ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BMWDriver
04-21-2008, 07:48 PM
How much driving would you do in a year ? The upper control arm could be a problem again if it was not replaced with good parts, so I gathered. There is a suggestion that they ought to be replaced with bushings of a 750, something of good quality, otherwise the problem arises again.

Since I have my 17 inch wheels, I notice a small tendency for my steering wheel to go left when I stop, but the road is at an angle and uneven, and so with 235 width tires, I kind of expect things not to be perfect. The tires would want to follow the road more because the tire wall is not as tall and flexible as 15 inch tires.

Otherwise it drives straight.

e34.535i.sport
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I've got the same 'loose' problem at the moment after a few months... but only on one side. I think its a shock for me because I get such a terrible wobble if I hit a dip or bump on the passenger side, but nothing if I hit it with the drivers side. I don't get any pulling to one side though...

I assume you have had your tracking redone and the track rods are nice and tight? The balljoints in mine were knackered and this casued me issues...

realness
04-22-2008, 11:00 AM
How much driving would you do in a year ? The upper control arm could be a problem again if it was not replaced with good parts, so I gathered. There is a suggestion that they ought to be replaced with bushings of a 750, something of good quality, otherwise the problem arises again.

Since I have my 17 inch wheels, I notice a small tendency for my steering wheel to go left when I stop, but the road is at an angle and uneven, and so with 235 width tires, I kind of expect things not to be perfect. The tires would want to follow the road more because the tire wall is not as tall and flexible as 15 inch tires.

Otherwise it drives straight.

I do between 10,000 – 11,000. I used Meyle parts for the upper and lower control arms on both sides. After I replaced these parts the front end was nice and tight over bumps. I have noticed recently the front end doesn’t feel as tight over bumps.

That sucks if these parts have worn out already. That means I am going to have to replace these parts every year and half.