PDA

View Full Version : PowerFlex kit subframe bushings finally arrived

Ferret
04-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Gawd they took ages to get here....

After getting fed up of the car rear-steering I decided to have a go with some powerflex subframe bushings!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Suspension/DSC00025.jpg
They're huge...
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Suspension/DSC00028.jpg

Todays big question is thus:
How easy is it to drop the subframe approx 1 inch to get the top half of this bushing over? They're press-fit together rubberised components, but you need to be able to get at the top and the bottom of the carrier to fit em!

Anyone have any suggestions... just jack it up, drop the subframe bolts on each side and pray? :D

Write-up will be coming when I figure this lot out!

whiskychaser
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Todays big question is thus:
How easy is it to drop the subframe approx 1 inch to get the top half of this bushing over? They're press-fit together rubberised components, but you need to be able to get at the top and the bottom of the carrier to fit em!

Anyone have any suggestions... just jack it up, drop the subframe bolts on each side and pray? :D

It should drop that amount on its own. But if not a gentle lever will do it easily

Ferret
04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
i asked about these on m5board. I heard reports that they would introduce too much road vechile harshness into the cabin.

S'cuse the expression, but I personally think that's cr*p.

I've been in two E34s now that have powerflex bushings in the subframe - and they've both been as quiet (or at least not noticably different) as the cars without. These arent solid blocks of plastic that just transmit every chassis resonation into the car - they're rubberised just enough to cut most of it out. They are however *hugely* noticable in the rear end stability - made a hell of a difference to how the cars drive.

Whiskychaser - cheers mate, should make life easier! Where'd you position your jackstands while you were doing this job?

BigKriss
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
i asked about these on m5board. I heard reports that they would introduce too much road vechile harshness into the cabin.

Ferret
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I put them under the sills with wood in between. I really didnt like doing it but the sills were absolutely fine

Erk! Which bit of the sil did you put the pressure on, the flat bodywork or the weld seam that sticks down? I Think it might be worth finding me some grooved bits of wood :D

Ferret
04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
thanks for that. How much do they go for?

They retail here for about $50AUD a side I think! (If my conversion factor is correct!)

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp?cat=0003&catalog=0903

Will report back on ease of fitment etc next weekend, I've got the outlaws visiting this weekend so I cant get em fitted! *groan*

whiskychaser
04-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Whiskychaser - cheers mate, should make life easier! Where'd you position your jackstands while you were doing this job?
I put them under the sills with wood in between. I really didnt like doing it but the sills were absolutely fine

BigKriss
04-22-2008, 06:40 AM
thanks for that. How much do they go for?

S'cuse the expression, but I personally think that's cr*p.

I've been in two E34s now that have powerflex bushings in the subframe - and they've both been as quiet (or at least not noticably different) as the cars without. These arent solid blocks of plastic that just transmit every chassis resonation into the car - they're rubberised just enough to cut most of it out. They are however *hugely* noticable in the rear end stability - made a hell of a difference to how the cars drive.

whiskychaser
04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Erk! Which bit of the sil did you put the pressure on, the flat bodywork or the weld seam that sticks down? I Think it might be worth finding me some grooved bits of wood :D
I put them under the welded seam. Think it was 2"x2" and about 6" long in the hope it would spread the load a bit

Sam-Son
04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
nice Im gonna be ordering some powerflex poly bushes sometime very soon

BigKriss
04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Okay, thanks. Is there space underneath the powerflex bush to put bruno's delrin plates also? or do they go straight down to the subframe plate?

They retail here for about $50AUD a side I think! (If my conversion factor is correct!)

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp?cat=0003&catalog=0903

Will report back on ease of fitment etc next weekend, I've got the outlaws visiting this weekend so I cant get em fitted! *groan*

Ferret
04-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Okay, thanks. Is there space underneath the powerflex bush to put bruno's delrin plates also? or do they go straight down to the subframe plate?

Hmm, dont brunos plates kinda 'slot-in' to the OEM bushes?

I've never seen them before, so it's kinda hard to comment.