PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Light Issue

BIGRED
04-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Almost had a major problem. My wife was driving at freeway speeds and the brakes went out. Don't know what has caused the problem - all the brake fluid is gone - but there was no warning about the fluid level.

The warning light comes on with the key, I have tried to jiggle the float up and down which does not trigger the light I tried to unplug it and jump it. Nothing causes the light to trigger or the warning center (if it has the ability).

Really not a happy camper. I am just fortunate she was out of the steep hills before it went dry.

Part 2 will be tracing that which caused the fluid level to be at zero.

Any ideas on the light?

Thanks in advance!
Don

healtoeit
04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Part 2 will be tracing that which caused the fluid level to be at zero.

Firstly, Glad everyone is all right! Secondly, I don't know about the light, but check all the brake lines. That is what the problem sounds like to me.

attack eagle
04-20-2008, 04:44 PM
reservoir o ring?

BIGRED
04-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks...

The left front brake hose is spraying fluid maybe others have a leak. I need to check it out). I thought these things had a cross circuit. If true I should have had right front and left rear. But I (she) had nothing.

It turns out to be the sensor on the fluid reservoir.

Ross
04-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Unless she had two leaks she had some brakes, at least on the first application. The pedal will fall and it feels scary but you still have some brakes. If she continues to drive in this condition the fluid will eventually be exhausted with predictable outcome.
If one rubber line has failed the others are next in line. Replace all and inspect the metal ones, calipers and seal at the resevoir.

whiskychaser
04-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks...

The left front brake hose is spraying fluid maybe others have a leak. I need to check it out). I thought these things had a cross circuit. If true I should have had right front and left rear. But I (she) had nothing.

It turns out to be the sensor on the fluid reservoir.
This may not be your motor, but it seems some models only have a single brake line going to be back:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE12&mospid=47381&btnr=34_0514&hg=34&fg=15

Mr._Graybeard
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
A little OT, but here's a great tool for replacing brake hoses. It's the Vise-Grip 4LW Locking wrench. I use it to hold the fitting on the hard line steady while turning the hose fitting. It has a V-shaped notch in the fixed jaw that clamps the fitting secure on three flats and holds it more securely than any flare wrench I've used.