PDA

View Full Version : ATF or The Real Thing?

whiskychaser
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Coming back from the DIY store today and all of a sudden it feels like somebody else applied the brakes then put their foot back on the gas. Drop it into 2nd and thats fine but 3rd and 4th it does it again. So I'm hoping low ATF but deep down I know it isnt. Drained 3 litres plus and put in about the same. Problem persists and I have a code 100 but no sensor codes. The colour says it all. Last time I changed it, it was red. Havent even looked it up but I reckon 3rd/4th clutches shot. So vote on the options:
1. Polish it up nicely- and throw it in the bin
2. Get a recon tranny for £1K+ - more than the car is worth
3. Do what you did last time and get a used tranny that dies
4. Go manual
5. Limp it to Liverpool in 2nd, leave it for 10 minutes and claim on insurance
This is not a whinge post but a request for a consensus:)

Sixdown
04-20-2008, 11:59 AM
It really depends on if you want to keep the car itself. It seems to have pretty low mileage, so i would personally would put in another used transmission or convert to a manual, which would still cost a pretty high amount. It's mostly about how much you like the car and are willing to spend on it.

e34.535i.sport
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
#5... That thing wouldn't last five minutes.

Ferret
04-20-2008, 09:25 PM
#5... That thing wouldn't last five minutes.

Put yer bricks and 'car keys' away! :D

It's a shame no-one makes a sensor that can detect how burned up fluid is - you'd know about the trouble before it became a major problem and have time to source a new tranny!

Ferret
04-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Should have included that as option no. 6

Option #6: Brookside the b*stard

Ross
04-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Bury it in the new concrete slab.

whiskychaser
04-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Bury it in the new concrete slab.
Should have included that as option no. 6

whiskychaser
04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Did some research and found an article that said there is a welded bracket on the manual cars (to support the gearshift?) that doesnt appear on the autos. Anyone confirm this - or is it just a 'simple' nuts and bolts job? I also read that the auto diff is much too high ratio for the manual box. Well mine isnt the 4 speed you get in the US so I'm wondering what a 'good' ratio would be and if mine already has it:) My head says let the damn car go but I dont want to see it off without a fight

Dr. evil
04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
#4.... just because driving is funner that way