PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter question.

scott540
05-24-2004, 01:45 PM
I changed my oil this weekend. My old filter had a plastic top. The new one I got had what seemed to be paper. It was yellow and not black plastic like the old one. It still fit though. If I remember right, all of my old filters were black on top. It fit so I used it. Big mistake?

Russell
05-24-2004, 04:08 PM
I think Mann has a yellow paper top. I think my last filter from the dealer had a brown paper top as well. Also, I think Mahle filters are made a bit more robust. than those I mentioned.

I changed my oil this weekend. My old filter had a plastic top. The new one I got had what seemed to be paper. It was yellow and not black plastic like the old one. It still fit though. If I remember right, all of my old filters were black on top. It fit so I used it. Big mistake?

scott540
05-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it was a Mann. Got it from BavAuto. Plastic top was a Mahle from the dealer

dave b
05-24-2004, 08:21 PM
as long as it fits, you're fine

like Russell said, it depends on the brand.

BMA uses Mann and Mahle so I do as well

winfred
05-25-2004, 12:02 AM
theres 2 different v8 oil filters, and one of those has a early and late style, they are not interchangable without the dildo looking thing that snaps into the housing, to convert it to the late cheep filter. the one with the big hole is the late

632 Regal
05-25-2004, 01:50 PM
the dildo looking thing