PDA

View Full Version : Autocross suggestions

632 Regal
04-18-2008, 04:16 PM
helmet, tools, extra fire extinguisher, extra rotors, tires and wheels (incase), a range of different diameter anti sway bars to compare sway patterns in turns, g-force data kit, multimeter and extra hoses. Oh and you should also bring a full body armour suit, and a few friends to video the occasion.

Good luck with it and look forward to the videos.

healtoeit
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Hay all! i'm going autocrossing on the 26th for the first time! I was wondering what I should prepare to bring with me and how I should prep the car.

Thankx!

healtoeit
04-19-2008, 06:49 AM
full body armour suit

Do you custom make those? lol
Thanks for the advice!

whiskychaser
04-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Hay all! i'm going autocrossing on the 26th for the first time! I was wondering what I should prepare to bring with me and how I should prep the car.

Thankx!
You mean you are going to autocross in YOUR car? It must have a different meaning where you are:) If you are entering any sort of competition you need to check with the organisers-if you dont prep the car right you wont even get past the scrutineers. I'd have thought you would be looking at emergency battery cut off inside the car, roll bar and a proper fuel tank as a minimum. You may need a race licence and special insurance to drive. Can you post details of the circuit so we can see whats involved? Be interested to hear how you go on

healtoeit
04-19-2008, 10:56 PM
You mean you are going to autocross in YOUR car?

Yes :D

If you are entering any sort of competition you need to check with the organisers

Already did, they are ok with a street car entering

You may need a race licence
I'm working on getting one

special insurance to drive.

No insurance for the track whatsoever

Can you post details of the circuit so we can see whats involved? Be interested to hear how you go on
Well, the one next weekend, a auto cross, is through BMW CCA. The race track I was last on was done through Track Daze at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit. I had an instructor in the car with me, which helped a ton. It was a blast!
More info here
https://www.trackdaze.com/
Last time I went I was the only e34

Washburn
04-21-2008, 09:49 AM
"Autocross" and what you linked to are two different things. Are you lapping around a circuit? That's HPDE or track day lapping. Autocross is single car at a time, timed competition, usually on a parking lot, with a temporary course marked by pylons. Very significant difference in terms of what is required and how you need to prep.

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Tells you lots of good thing sto know for Autocrossing.

Jeff N.
04-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Bring some portable air, white shoe polish and a good tire pressure gauge. Use it to help monitor your tire rollover and thus your tire pressures.

DanDombrowski
04-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Wow, I cant believe no one has mentioned it - Brake fluid, brake fluid, brake fluid!

Autox is not nearly as strenuous on the brakes as a lapping day is, but regardless, you want fresh brake fluid in the lines. Next behind that is plenty of brake pad front and rear and decent tires. Assuming you have all that, some things to bring with you:

Tire gauge + some way of modifying tire pressures (portable tank, portable compressor, knowing the track has a compressor, etc).

Car numbers? Blue painters tape is often used.

Spare tire + jack + lug wrench

Take out EVERYTHING from the car. When you actually go to run, you'll be suprised how big of a pile is next to your spot when you actually get the stuff taken out. Leave all of the things you can at home (floor mats, trunk carpet, e-pass, owners manuals/glovebox junk, ladies underwear, umbrellas (unless its going to rain that day), sunshades, etc.

Little of every extra fluid if you can fit it. Extra quart of oil, little extra coolant, pint of brake fluid. Top off all of your fluids before you leave, but your brake fluid will be perfect, because you just flushed it, right?

It helps immensely to have a friend go with you or make friends while your there to make sure things like torque wrenches, air compressors, or floor jacks don't meander off when you're not looking.

Thats everything I can think of for a beginner. Last advice is to try and do everything you can before you leave. I always think I'm going to be bored between runs and do all my work at the track, and I always end up not having enough time to do everything.

healtoeit
04-22-2008, 08:09 AM
"Autocross" and what you linked to are two different things. Are you lapping around a circuit?

The race track I was last on was done through Track Daze at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit. I had an instructor in the car with me, which helped a ton. It was a blast!
More info here
https://www.trackdaze.com/

I was referring to a previous track event.
No, I am not lapping around a circuit this time

Thankx for the link!

repenttokyo
04-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Thankx! a bunch for all the suggestions, yea my dad and I are going so we have enough room for a bunch of tools and what not.

Even if it is lucky?

it wasn't lucky for the lady ;)

healtoeit
04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow, I cant believe no one has mentioned it - Brake fluid, brake fluid, brake fluid!

Thankx! a bunch for all the suggestions, yea my dad and I are going so we have enough room for a bunch of tools and what not.

ladies underwear

Even if it is lucky?

healtoeit
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
it wasn't lucky for the lady ;)
hehehe

healtoeit
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Bring some portable air, white shoe polish and a good tire pressure gauge. Use it to help monitor your tire rollover and thus your tire pressures.
Would I apply the polish to the sidewall? Silly question, but I can't visualize what you are describing very well.
Thankx!

Qube
04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Would I apply the polish to the sidewall? Silly question, but I can't visualize what you are describing very well.
Thankx!

Hmmn interesting idea. I use a temp gun to measure temps across the width of the tire...

What you can do Today

Tires: You've already read that you should put an extra 10 to 15 psi in your tires. The reason for this is to keep your tires from rolling under during hard cornering. But how much is too much? Put chalk on the edges of your tire, in three places around the diameter, and you can see how far over the tire was going during your runs. Bleed out a little if the chalk is still showing on the tread, or add a little more if the chalk has been worn off down the sidewall. The line of worn chalk to remaining chalk should be right at the corner of the tread and sidewall. Keep notes on how many psi you ran, and where the chalk line was, for your next event.

Remember that as you get better and corner harder, you'll need more air to compensate, so keep using the chalk at every event.

Washburn
04-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Hmmn interesting idea. I use a temp gun to measure temps across the width of the tire...

Good for evaluating camber settings, and to a certain degree, pressures. Rollover indicators like chalk are best for rollover, especially if you're not on any kind of competition tire. 'Course on camber "challenged" cars like BMW's, it's of limited value. My Evo likes 3 degrees of negative camber in front!

DanDombrowski
04-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Awesome! Good luck! Looking forward to the photos!

healtoeit
04-25-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm off to the races!
Brake fluid changed, car inspected, pads good, tires good, hoses tight!
I'll post pics on a new thread when I get back!