PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Dash Center Vents?

Scott C
04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
There is a trick - it is called loctite on the hinge points - I have tried it and it works - it is one heck of a lot easier than replacing the vent! The loctite just fills up the gap, it may take two applications (mine did). And yes they move!
Scott

Jehu
04-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Are there any tricks or secrets replacing THESE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250236760466&rd=1)? Mine won't remain in position and swivel all about...Now that my a/c -heating system is in good working order,other than the fact that sometimes the fan doesn't come on but will after hitting a bump while its switched on...

pgrindstaff
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
From the pictures I have seen you take the vent on the top of the dash out and there are clips that you release to pull that center vent out. I need to replace mine as well, just keep forgetting about finding the part number then sourcing it.

Russell
04-18-2008, 12:57 PM
There was a post on one of the boards, not sure which one, where someone said the actual vents just popped out and he made shims that would hold them in place. BTW, I have used lockite as well.

myles
04-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Just today I pulled the individual vents from the frame. You point the vent down as far as it goes and gently pull it forwards out of the frame.

Jehu
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh well.. I bought them before the cheap-O fixes came up... no regrets Cayote.

pgrindstaff
04-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Found this link (http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_37.htm) on the board for replacing the center vents. Just got "new" ones myself so this will be quite useful.

glen-sj
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
The center vents on my 95-530 look slightly different than the one shown on the link. Instead of the white line on the center wheel like my 92 525, the 95 530 has blue dots leading to red dots as you turn the on the center wheel.

Also on the 525 the red dot indicator on top and blue dot indicator at the bottom light up (I have replaced the little bulb before), but that is not the case on the 530. The red and blue dot indicator do not light up. Open up the center vent on top of the dash and don't see any connector and bulb behind the vent. It is obvious that there are two types of center vents used on the E34s. Can anyone with the other different vent tell me if the blue and red dot indicator light up?

Thanks.

pgrindstaff
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
No they do not have a light. In place of the power wire there is a cable that I assume adjusts a motor or damper. I have not replaced mine yet so I am not 100% sure what the cable is for.

525i winter driver
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Are there any tricks or secrets replacing THESE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250236760466&rd=1)? Mine won't remain in position and swivel all about...Now that my a/c -heating system is in good working order,other than the fact that sometimes the fan doesn't come on but will after hitting a bump while its switched on...

i found the tabs very difficult to push far enough down to release the vent assembly, they were really really tight in mine. the second time i did it i just did the easy (ds) side and pulled that side of the assembly out a little bit which made it way easier to get to the other side. not sure if this helps or even makes sense.:)

glen-sj
04-22-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm going to have to do the same and just wanted to know how you had access to the taps. Was it through the opening of the center vent on top of the dash?

Thanks.

525i winter driver
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Was it through the opening of the center vent on top of the dash?

yes - the centre vent is two screws i think

there are four tabs, two on the top and two on the bottom at both ends (almost all the way to the corners). i was tempted to break the f&&kers, the assembly wedges in nice and tight anyway.

edit: here is the best pic i could find... i drew an arrow pointing to the wire for the light in the middle thumb wheel - it's a super small bulb that would cost $10 if you bought it from a dealer in montreal... no kidding...

GJPinAU
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Had the same problem with the E30.
I used stick-on velcro (only the soft half) in a small sliver and slid it in beside the vent.

Works like a charm!

Jehu
04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I blew it. My Vents use the Belden cable NOT the electric connector... the part number is listed for the 540 but when you refine it to build date i was still in the older style apparently. If i can't get a refund or exchange from the4 ebay seller anybody interested? they are brand new never been used and look that way but I didn't realize mine used the cab;e till i got them out. Duh!

pgrindstaff
04-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Doh, I hate to hear that happened to you Jehu. I bought the center vent from a seller on ebay that was parting out a '95 525i. I believe this type vent is actually the new style. My 94 530i had the center vent like the one you purchased, though the bulb only lit once in a blue moon.

Good luck finding the right vent.

-Patrick

Jehu
04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Doh, I hate to hear that happened to you Jehu. I bought the center vent from a seller on ebay that was parting out a '95 525i. I believe this type vent is actually the new style. My 94 530i had the center vent like the one you purchased, though the bulb only lit once in a blue moon.

Good luck finding the right vent.

-Patrick

Thanks. The dealer has the proper vent for $75 usd, Neither my original nor this part has the bulb. That would have been a clue it wasn't the right part for me.