PDA

View Full Version : ? about overheating in the engine bay

Craig Wright
05-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Yesterday after a 3 hour drive, I noticed the the front fenders, left and right as well as a portion of the hood were hot to the touch. After opening the hood, I could feel the heat buildup in those corners of the bay. Nothing to indicate that the water/coolant was excessive, only the engine bay. After leaving the hood up for a while all was fine. Anybody else experience this, and is there a vent somewhere that may be blocked?

Thanks,
Craig Wright
a "HOT" 89 535i

Martin in Bellevue
05-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Was it hotter than say, if you leave it parked in the sunlight this afternoon? Yesterday was the 3rd sunny day of the year up here. The coolant gauge read straight up, normal operating temperature?

Maybe those big brembos were creating a bunch of heat?

Craig Wright
05-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Yes it was. Coolant gague was straight up. The fenders above and behind the wheels were at normal heat. As for the brembos, I don't have the "big" conversion, yet rather the entry level solid disc brembos. I did notice some heat build up in the Yoko's. The three hour drive was not spirited, mostly freeway driving at 80 mph.

After seeing your photos, was it difficult to convert the steering wheel?

Craig

Martin in Bellevue
05-24-2004, 01:00 PM
is hard to get to. Even in that parts car, with the dash out & little concern for remaining parts, it is inaccessible.
Don't pull the wheel with the turn signal in an 'indicate' position. I snapped a brittle plastic piece this way. As it was, I had an extra stalk from the parts car. You're welcome to drive the car anytime.

The bonnet insulation is intact on yer car?

Craig
05-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Um Martin- I think you're getting us confused. :D

Martin in Bellevue
05-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Great, we got 2 Craig's here?

Um Martin- I think you're getting us confused. :D

Craig Wright
05-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Thats why I use my full name.

Craig Wright

Craig Wright
05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
When I'm out in Bellevue, I'll look you up for a drive. The insulation is as intact as you would expect for a car that is 15 years old car.

Martin in Bellevue
05-24-2004, 04:11 PM
The laugh would be from the lack of midrange torque & the pinging above 3,500 rpm.

HAH!

When I'm out in Bellevue, I'll look you up for a drive. The insulation is as intact as you would expect for a car that is 15 years old car.

Craig
05-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Not only 2 Craigs, but 2 in the area? Funny.

Craig Standley